HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   2nd Time Ever Bow Hunting....And I Spooked My Deer! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/305557-2nd-time-ever-bow-hunting-i-spooked-my-deer.html)

Aquakeeper 10-01-2009 04:25 PM

2nd Time Ever Bow Hunting....And I Spooked My Deer!

So I finally found someone that will let me hunt there small wooded area for bow hunting a few nights a week. It backs up to a huge state park so there are some deer in there to be taken.

My first time was yesterday and I saw a few right as it got dark and as I was coming in another guy who was hunting a few hundred yards on the opposite side had taken a doe.

So today I went out and had the woods to myself this time. I don't have a treestand and pretty much go out and sit near some natural cover and wait. After 2 hrs of sitting I notice to my left some movement and I can see a doe coming in behind a tree. Its about 15yrs out but behind some thick bushes and a tree but is coming my way. I wait it out and slowly she comes closer to closer and is probably within 10yrs if that and I'm just waiting to take a shot. Only problem is that she is looking in my direction and I can tell she thinks somthing is up but isn't spooked yet. Im waiting for her to turn her head or do somthing to give me a oppurtunity to draw my bow. So finally she walks a few more feet and turns away so I draw my bow and shes gone like the wind...:mad:

How am I soppost to be able to get a shot off in the sitting position from the ground with little to conceal my movement. It was awesome how close of a shot I would of been able to make but it was almost like it was too close to even do anything but sit perfectly still. Should I have drawn my bow back as soon as I saw her and just waited hopeing she was going to come my way?
Im new to this so need some advice.

Im still bummed I didn't get to take a shot:sad:

early in 10-01-2009 04:40 PM

Do yourself a favor and get a tree stand.:s4:

Green Archer 10-01-2009 04:46 PM

Hunting from the ground is a challange. You could have drawn your bow when you first had a chance, but that still might not have given you a shot. Try to find the best cover you can, I look for cover that surrounds most of my body. You might only get a shooting lane or two, but that should make it harder to be detected.
Good luck with your hunt :s4:

1shotkill1993 10-01-2009 04:49 PM

Agreed, get a treestand.

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-01-2009 05:49 PM

I spent my first nine years hunting from the ground. Killed many deer too. It's a big learning curve for sure. I would call your hunt a huge success in the right direction. Try and get drawn before they get in front of you. Your going to get busted but stay after it and you will figure out what works and what doesn't. You'll get one, keep after it. Chris

niehenke 10-01-2009 06:17 PM

I think that you found the problem; you were too close. If you are in a tree or on the ground, you can be too close. I like to be at a good distance from their paths. The next time will be even more of a challenge because she is on edge, but if she has a reason to come back, you will take her with persistence. Good luck.

HoytMT2332 10-01-2009 09:27 PM

I figured out if you are on the ground, It's best to draw when there is something between you and the deer. I spooked alot of deer my first fews years of bowhunting. I don't like heights much, I always hunt from the ground. Wait until the deer is behind a tree, and it can't see you move. I tryed about 8 times to draw on deer that were looking the other way. They caught me everytime. Any deer i have ever shot there was something between me and it. And always pick objects closer to the deer. But if you dont dislike heights, get a treestand. I'm not an expert, but i've wacked a few in my 5 years of bowhunting. Now I'm trying to shoot a big one.

BIGJOE77 10-01-2009 10:28 PM

Get a treestand for sure they sell them all over the place, all the way from $40 to however deep in your pocket you are willing to go. I wouldnt buy the $40 model, not much to them. I'm new to Bow Hunting myself but I bought one at Dicks on sale for 130 and it was 127 off sticker price. Went out today for opening season and it works just fine more comfortable than what I thought it would be. Its a climber to. Just shop around. Good Luck!

G5 Montec 100 grain