Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Boom!  Buck down! >

Boom! Buck down!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Boom! Buck down!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 AM
bigcountry

Quality deer there. Good to see some pictures rolling in. Seems we are not seeing as many as years past?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow what a bruiser congrats
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
James, did you shoot him in that field? The reason I ask is because I have been hunting a really nice clover field and tonite I had a nice 9 or 10pt at 15yds, I needed him to take about three steps and I would have had a perfect shot. I was sitting on the ground against a birch tree and he busted me. QUESTION? Do you have your blind set up on the edge or out in the field? How long have you had the blind out there? How long do you think it takes for the deer to get used of the blind? I have a blind and I think I am going to try it, becaus I am running out of options.
By the way, that IS a GREAT BUCK! Congrats.

I shot the buck on the 30th. I believe it was on the 28th that I moved the blind in. The blind had kind of been destroyed by bears, so it doesn't really just pop up on it's own like it is supposed to. The ceiling rods and one side of the blind both are broke. In order to get it set up I had to tie it in to trees, one to hold the one side from caving in and the other up high to keep the ceiling/top up. The blind is set up so that the front edge of it is parallel with the field edge. And I did the best I could to not ruin any surrounding foliage when setting it up. The field itself is a cut oats field. The deer are feeding in it eating whatever little oats grain they can and eating new shoots that are coming up as well.
Wind was perfect, temp dropped to about 37 that afternoon. I had an 8 point feed by me at about 20 yards. I wasn't completely ready when he came by but I made sure that I was before he was out of the area. It was only a few minutes later when I caught movement along the field edge to the left of my blind. The deer were not spooky at all so I watched as the big buck fed from the left/center corner window and into the center window. It is my first year shooting a peep, and I was careful to go through my checklist as I pulled back on the bruiser. "LOOK THROUGH THE PEEP, make sure your arrow is going to clear the blind window, top pin, aim and release". After I released I dropped the bow and grabbed my binos to look for where the shot was and to pay close attention to look and see where the buck exited the field. I noticed that my arrow was a little higher than I wanted and there was a fair amount sticking out so I decided to just back out. There wasn't any sign of rain in the forecast, and the temp was expected to drop below 30 that night. That, and I'm getting really tired of tracking at night. So I decided to back out and come back in morning. Came back the next morning, 130 yards, and the rest is history.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a tank for sure, job well done!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

wow very nice buck CONGRATS
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good stuff James, good stuff. Once again congrats brother!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck. He's a slammer. Beautiful tine length on him. It must be something to get ground level with a buck like that.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats. Nice work.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Very very nice deer congrats!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.