Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shoot through screens???? >

Shoot through screens????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot through screens????

Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shoot through screens????

Well my wife and boy are scheduled to be out of town next week leaving my 7 year old daughter and I at home to fend for ourselves, so me being the witty hunter, I ask Ally if she wants to bowhunt with dad after school. She replied with an enthusiastic "YEAH!". So I went out and picked up a nice hub style ground blind with the shoot through screens thinking it will be the cat's behind for concealing a fidgety little girl.

My question - what are your opinions on shooting through the screens?? I plan on shooting slick trick mags. Has anyone seen any major issues?? I was planning checking my zero thru one of them but thought I would ask first...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havent had any problems that I noticed, like you said shooting through it yourself is the best way to find out. Im sure if you bow is out of tune it could cause even worse arrow flight but out of a well tuned bow the arrow should impact very close our to 30 or 40 yards.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I've never had an issue using fixed blades. (magnus stinger, and thunderhead)

Hope you two have a blast. Great job on getting her out into the woods!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

It'll shoot through like the screen isn't even there. Just make sure the screens are tight so you can see well.

I'd suggest that you take a few shots before you go out, just to build the confidence.

Good luck and have fun with your daughter!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hav always wondered thesame thing, I picked up a DB this eyar to use and don't know if the screens will be a problem with the Rage 2 blades anyone know, should I just drop the screens?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Carpmaster,
20-30 yards i have seen no difference in impact point (That is my self imposed limit)

JUST FYI.

First practice shot i ever took out of my Ameristep brickhouse went through the wall of the blind below the window. I could see the target just fine but the arrow leaves your bow a couple inches lower than your line of site
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fixed blades will be fine, mechanicals are a no-no.
That being said, I would still cut slits in the screens in different positons to shoot thru. A broadhead going thru the screen leaves a nice little hole, shoot one thru a pre-cut slit and it's like you never shot.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Spike

Always wonderd the same and have always just dropped the windows needed and left the others covered. Let us know how it works for ya!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Canuck33
I hav always wondered thesame thing, I picked up a DB this eyar to use and don't know if the screens will be a problem with the Rage 2 blades anyone know, should I just drop the screens?
You definitely don't want to use mechanicals through the mesh. It will likely open your blades and throw things way out of wack.

Like I said before, the you won't notice a thing shooting through mesh with a fixed blade.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I've used slick trick mags thru mesh, and as atested above - no problemo.

- fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.