Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Processor?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Deer Processor?

I am looking for a good place in Northern Illinois to have my deer processed. If you know of any please let me know. I live in Algonquin and used to bring it to Jones Meat Locker in Woodstock and it was the gamiest deer I have ever eaten. I dont think they de-bone the deer before processing.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Johns Elgin Mkt. in south Elgin off rte.31....expensive but he'll do it right!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepinxj
I am looking for a good place in Northern Illinois to have my deer processed. If you know of any please let me know. I live in Algonquin and used to bring it to Jones Meat Locker in Woodstock and it was the gamiest deer I have ever eaten. I dont think they de-bone the deer before processing.
All the deer I have taken to Jones came out just fine. They even misplaced my deer one year (it ended up getting buried in the back of the cooler) a week later they called and said the y found it and when I picked it up they didn't charge me for their mistake.

I also have used Lena Maid Meats in Lena. The guy lives a block away and will run over if it is after hours...
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by lifesadrag
Johns Elgin Mkt. in south Elgin off rte.31....expensive but he'll do it right!
I can call but what is expensive and would you say its worth it?
Nevermind sorry found his site but it good stuff?

Last edited by jeepinxj; 09-30-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepinxj
I can call but what is expensive and would you say its worth it?
Nevermind sorry found his site but it good stuff?
He did right by me.....makes good sausage and sticks too!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Do it yourself much better meat. got one back and couldnt hardly eat it. that was ten years ago and havent looked back since. I have a stainless vets operating table to butcher on works awsome and no processing fees.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nromaker
Do it yourself much better meat. got one back and couldnt hardly eat it. that was ten years ago and havent looked back since. I have a stainless vets operating table to butcher on works awsome and no processing fees.
Would love to but dont have the skills or tools.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

All ya need is a fillet knife and a sharpener. Get some freezer paper, tape, marker, and some big plastic bags. Cut the back straps into what you want and package, steaks, grilling roasts, ect. Cut the big muscles out of the hind quarters and clean them up and do what you wish with them, steaks, roasts, ect.... We can alot fo meat too but otherwise take all your scraps and small muscles you don't care for and put them in the large plastic bags. Ask your processor what the lbs are needed for each batch of whatever you want made ahead of time and fill your bags to that much weight. Then take your stuff in and tell them what you want. Makes life easy and alot cheaper. We have never had a deer taken in to process. I can have one done by myself in a couple hours. Once you do a few you will wonder why you ever paid a butcher to cut up your deer...... We always keep our grinding meat and take it in in the summer when they arent so busy. Then we get fast turn around time and we know we are getting our own meat back. This way we are running out again the next year around the same time. Keeps us from worrying about getting others meat and having to wait forever during the busy season. WCL
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

wingchaser is right on all of it plus for about $250-$300 you can get a good grinder. I can grind one into burger in ten to fifteen minutes after deboning. Also i thought i was the only one who knew about canning venision. It is awsome pressure cook it and pop it out of the jar when you want. warm it up with gravy and just like an open face roast beef sandwitch
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canning meat was just brought up on the cooking section. Awesome way to make fast meals and use up those tougher muscles you don't care for but don't want to spend the extra money on having it ground up and made into something. We can about 50% of every deer I think. I cut the back straps up, and take some of the more tender hind quarter muscles for roast and such but I'm lazy and hate preparing roasts or just frankly don't have time anymore so I've started canning most of my venison. Here is the link. http://huntingnet.com/forum/camp-coo...ml#post3460097 WCL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.