Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin DNR

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

We use to spend a lot of time hunting in northern wisconsin and I have some great memories from years ago...sadly the hunting up there is all by destroyed, Im not sure if it is because of the wolves or overharvesting by hunters. It is sad to see this great resource all by destroyed. I hope that eventually the DNR gets things figured out so someday maybe my children can enjoy hunting in this awesome area.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

We never had a problem in clark county with wolves until this year. They are worse than the bears. Atleast the DNR openly admited that the bear population was higher than they thought and it sounds like they are going to issue more kill tags for bear applicants next year. But now what to do about the Wolves. This isnt just a clark county issue, its a state wide issue. We dont need wolves roaming our farm lands killing our cattle and horses and we really dont need them killing any hunters or anyone else for that matter. Wolves have no fear of humans, found this out about a month ago personally. DC really needs to get their act together before its too late and get the wolves off the endagered species list. Hunting isnt much fun anymore when you have to carry a side arm for protection and youre always watching your back in and out of the woods....We as hunters need to make a stand and let our voices be heard before someone ends up dead.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

We won a huge victory already by getting rid of EAB. In areas without wolves, all we can do know is NOT SHOOT DOES. I know that QDM and the media make it sound like your ethical duty to pop as man does as possible, but that is if your area is overpopulated, it doesnt sound like anywhere in wisconsin is having that problem. Now that hunters arent forced to shoot does, we must excercise some self restraint and let does walk for awhile. It will take at least 3-4 years of minimal doe harvest and mild winters to get the population anywhere close to what it was only 7 or so years ago. As far as the wolves go I guess we just have start writing letters.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
We won a huge victory already by getting rid of EAB. In areas without wolves, all we can do know is NOT SHOOT DOES. I know that QDM and the media make it sound like your ethical duty to pop as man does as possible, but that is if your area is overpopulated, it doesnt sound like anywhere in wisconsin is having that problem. Now that hunters arent forced to shoot does, we must excercise some self restraint and let does walk for awhile. It will take at least 3-4 years of minimal doe harvest and mild winters to get the population anywhere close to what it was only 7 or so years ago. As far as the wolves go I guess we just have start writing letters.
We probably need to extend this practice to areas with wolves as well. Hadn't thought about this as I usually put 3-4 in the freezer each year, but it's probably best to start hunting bucks only and bring along the camera.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

ATTA BOY W9ARcher! I am not old school enough to be completely anti doe shooting, but does are basically what control your population and if there are no deer around the only way to increase your population is to let more does survive and have offspring. Without EAB the population has to increase if people are willing to sacrifice a few unfilled tags.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Ya its a little rediculous these days, I hunt in Winchester Wisconsin/ Vilas county. Last year out of 6 people in different trees on 98 acres we saw 1 deer. It would be nice if there was something we could do about it. GUTSHOT???
Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Spike

Didnt you all here the answer the DNR gave.If theres no deer where youre used to hunting go hunt somewhere else where there is deer.To me thats no answer to someone who bought land or was family land and now there land is useless for hunting and there paying taxes and payments on this land.What a joke....
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I understand that you guys are talking about northern wisconsin, but the u.p. in michigan has the same problems. I know there are some places that people still do their share of hunting and are successful but many places have been wiped clean of deer. My Grandparents own to different tracks of land (80acr. in newberry county and 100acr. in baraga county), last two years he hunted almost every single day of all-the-seasons and only managed to kill a decent 8pt., but the sad part is that he seen more wolfs then deer-with about 3-1 ratio.. I hunt in the L.P. of michigan but it still pisses me off that people in whatever position thinks wolfs our more important to our society then deer that many people need to survive, especially in these tough times.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default This is actually a real problem

Many people who are reading these posts that hunt/live outside of Wisconsin probably think this is all overreaction. It isn't!!! We have land in the central part of the state and our deer sightings have dropped dramatically in the past couple of years. With that comes a decreased amount of venison in the freezer. We drew a bear tag this year and set up some sites on county land in the central part of the state and had 5 different bear come in. That is a lot of bear. Wolf stories are talked about at every cafe and gas station you go into. Its beginning to get very discouraging going out into the deer woods and consistently seeing NO deer. How does the DNR expect the younger generation to start hunting and keep the tradition alive if there aren't any deer out there to be seen, let alone harvested?!?! Theyve admitted in many articles that the bear population was underestimated dramatically due to a flaw in theyre estimation procedures. Like somebody else said, if they would use common sense instead of "scientific studies and protocol", the DNR could possibly have a more accurate number of wildlife living in particular areas. Something has to change with the WI DNR or WI hunters are going to begin to hunt different states.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

fawk.. kill every wolf you see...

Originally Posted by W9ARcher
I hear that Wolves are allergic to lead, especially in the belly.

I hunt near Weyerhaeuser and got my first wolf pack on my trail cameras this year. Though we saw deer last year and harvested our typical dozen deer, I'm not seeing as many feeding in the fields this summer.

A hunting gang in the Blue Hills north of us got 3 deer for 15 hunters last year. This is a group that typically only shoots bucks (no QDM practice there) and fills 80% of their tags. They said it's like the deer just vanished.

Gonna be an interesting season.