Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
dumb shot placement question >

dumb shot placement question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dumb shot placement question

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default dumb shot placement question

hi,
im new to bowhunting and i have a stupid question. im more curious than anything. anyway, i shot 2 deer last year with a rifle. i hit both of them in the neck and they both dropped instantly. would a deer drop if you hit it in the neck with an arrow, or is it the shock of a rifle bullet that drops them?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you hit the deer in the spinal cord with an arrow, it would drop in it's tracks. A gun shot can hit near the spinal cord with out actually severing it and yet still cause enough nerve disruption to drop the animal. (that's the shock part)

Don't go trying to that shot with a bow on the hopes of hitting the spinal cord. It's about the diameter of a pencil.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

If the arrow hits the spine in the neck yes it will drop them. that bein said it is not a good shot for a bowhunter-too much meat and muscle to penetrate and if you dont hit the spine or the carotid artery you have a wounded deer. Stick to the lungs and heart area for bowhunting.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont try it, go for the boiler room.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gettem right here and you will have some dead Deer!!
Attached Thumbnails dumb shot placement question-10pt_buck_mg_3981.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If bows and arrows worked real good

and better than rifles, all the World War I armies would have used bows and arrows.

Arrows cut, with no damage beyond where the arrow travels; rifle bullet can cut but also shock an animal to death. Shock beyond where the rifle bullet travels; the disadvantage of the arrow broadhead.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Spike

im a hunting guide in ks and we had a guy shoot a 160 inch 8 pointer in the neck at 30 yards and i had to track it 1200 yards before we found him i wouldnt recommend doing that if you can help it
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

not a dumb question, it is best you asked before something took place

a friend of mine shot his deer, after it turned its head to lick its shoulder, through the jugular...you would think this would be a done deal...after 600 yards of tracking, we found the deer the next day, still bleeding, barely alive

as others have stated, bullet shock drops the animal, as well as spine hits

aim just above the "point" of the shoulder when the deer is broadside, and for the opposite shoulder when quartering away...two best ethical shots you can take

good luck!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you asked.

DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT A DEER IN THE NECK WITH A BOW.
EVER!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell, dont shoot deer in the neck even with a rifle. No matter the weapon, thats ahell of a risky shot. Besides, whether you realize it or not, a bunch of meat comes off the neck and its being wasted. If you shoot him in the boiler room, not only is it more efficient and a higher percentage shot, but you waste less meat too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.