Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting in high winds >

Hunting in high winds

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in high winds

Old 09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default Hunting in high winds

What do you all think about hunting in 20+ mph winds? Do the deer even move at all? And if they do, where is the best spot to try to catch them? Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Spike

Well, it is gonna be windy here too in the morning but I am still going. In my experience they do NOT move nearly as much, but they still move. Playing the wind is super-important (thanks to my 12-year-old girl for that phrase).

Just be ready to see some rather cautious deer moving about.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate hunitng in high winds... Takes away alot of the advantages that we have as hunters. For one, the deer seem to be much more weary in my experience.

2, its alot harder to hear, and that really annoyes me.

I just would rather have a >5mph wind going that is steady all day long.

Best time to catch them would be in the evening as its dying down. Try to be high up if you can b/c the scent swirling is another huge disadvantage...
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

drockw is right, try to catch them in the evening when the wind is dying down. They will move but not as much. If you choose to hunt during the day then this is a good time to spot and stalk deer as well. A good pair of optics and playing the wind will allow you to sneak up on a bedded buck or doe.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wait till they die down. Its been very windy since yesterday and not dying down until Tuesday night sometime, you can bet I'll be on stand Wednesday morning!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I just try to get somewhere I can see a good ways. I HEAR a high percentage of the deer I hunt.....before I see them. Hunting in high winds......I try to hunt places I'm MORE sure of the direction they'll be coming from......and get in a spot I can see for a good ways.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just be carefull.The high winds are dangerous,especially this year in Ky and surrounding area of the ice storms.The tree limbs are breaking off left and right.I had a tree limb graze the back of my head already.It could have been disasterous if it had beed a direct hit.The wind wasn't even that bad but it was a little gusty.

I believe Germ took a tree limb last year.

If the winds are too high,my advice is to stay home.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am heading out in 20mph winds tonight. I am going because it will be the only time I am able to hunt until next Tuesday.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike

Well, I just got back from my morning hunt. The wind was gusting to 32mph. However, I harvested my first deer of the year!

I saw 6 doe and 4 fawns this morning. They were directly down wind from me and yet they never knew I was there. Scent control! Scent control! Scent control!

Wind or no wind you can't harvest a deer if you are not out in the woods.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I have a choice on picking my days verses my chores, I will likely do chores that day and save "hunt time" for a better sitting.

During gun season, I will hit the hard wood ridges, slow and careful and hopefully pick one off before being picked off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.