Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunder Heads?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Spike

Awesome thanks guys that my goal for today.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is nothing wrong with Thunderheads, I used them for years. I consider my bow tuned and ready for hunting when I can hit an apple at sixty yards, and I did that many times when I was shooting Thunderheads.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

I love thunderheads, but never found them to be the most accurate head. A person that is new to shooting or torques the bow, thunderheads will show this. Or of course if bow is out of tune. Like others said, BH tune the bow.

Only thing I never liked about thunderheads is they are weak. I rarely get to use em twice on a deer unless it was a quick thru the lungs shot, and have had many deer actually break them at the shank by rolling over the arrow or hitting the knuckle of the shoulder at an angle. But one thing they are is about the sharpest BH's out there.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry

Only thing I never liked about thunderheads is they are weak. I rarely get to use em twice on a deer unless it was a quick thru the lungs shot, and have had many deer actually break them at the shank by rolling over the arrow or hitting the knuckle of the shoulder at an angle. But one thing they are is about the sharpest BH's out there.
Mark, that's another reason I USED to use them. I went to Muzzy Phantom 220 grain because they are .040 thick and cut on contact. I'll stick them them as long as they continue to make them.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by The Rev
Mark, that's another reason I USED to use them. I went to Muzzy Phantom 220 grain because they are .040 thick and cut on contact. I'll stick them them as long as they continue to make them.
I heard rumors they might quit. So I bought up a few sets this winter. I love the 200gr phantoms. I never use the bleeder. Probably the toughest head out. Or steelforce. But never was a steelforce fan.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Spike

I talked to a shop and they suggested I try and shoot montec, Ill adjust my bow to the thunderheads for now. Its just crazy they shoot 6" low and left compared to the field points. I can see them curve in the air.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 100 gr. Thunderheads...never had an issue...I usually have to adjust my sight a little bit to them...they don't fly exactly like field points, for me anyway, but when it comes to putting down a deer, they work well!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Spike

So I got new arrows and sure enough they fly perfect. Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thunderheads can be bad and or poorly installed, not likely on the bad part. What they do is magnify problems. If your shooting one arrow it should be doing the same thing everytime, if it is try a different arrow and see what happens. If it's going all over the place you probably have a mechanical problem but the main one is you, your not shooting the same everytime.

Great improvements in your setup can be accomplished if your willing to do the homework and put in the time (ain't happening with this thread), or you can shot a mechanical head and live with it for now.

The T-head is talking, could be one problem, could be many. Books have been written in an effort to answer them. I like this site although it's not a broadhead site. There's a lot of others.

http://www.alansarchery.pwp.blueyond...eFrameOrig.htm
Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I heard rumors they might quit. So I bought up a few sets this winter. I love the 200gr phantoms. I never use the bleeder. Probably the toughest head out. Or steelforce. But never was a steelforce fan.
I hope not, I just bought some more myself. I'll stock up to last me the rest of my life!!!

Heck I'm 60 how much longer am I going to last.., the darn broad heads will probably outlast me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.