Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Taking Those QUALITY pictures this season.. >

Taking Those QUALITY pictures this season..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking Those QUALITY pictures this season..

Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taking Those QUALITY pictures this season..

I realize that hunting is not about simply bragging about your trophy in the form of pictures, however, pictures can say more about your hunt than you could tell..
My suggestions on taking some quality photo's to share on huntingnet.com are as follows..
1) GET LOW. If there is ONE thing you are going to do out of all of this, make it this one... Pictures of deer ALWAYS look better when the angle of the camera is low. It makes the deer look bigger and it makes the scenery more known to the eye.I always lay on the ground and look for that perfect angle when taking pictures of friends and family.. It just looks better.. EXAMPLE-

This photo is of my friend Zach and his 130" Illinois old brute.. I took this with the camera literally on the ground!
2) ANGLE OF ANTLERS.. Another key to showing the trophy off is having the antlers turned to show off any kickers, stickers, or just to the best possible look of the deer.. a straight on shot of the deer never does the deer justice if you ask me.. So I always mix it up by tasking multiple different angled shots.. EXAMPLE-

This is my 160" from 07.. The reason I am holding him at that angle is to show the split brow..
3) HAND PLACEMENT.. If your hands are gripping the deer with full fingers then it covers up the natural beauty that we call antler.. Show off as much of the antler as you can.. EXAMPLE-

My bow kill from a few years ago.. I am holding just enough antler to keep his head up..
4) WEAPON OF CHOICE IN PHOTO.. The last thing that people like to see is your bow/ gun/ spear.. whatever it was you used to kill your trophy.. and if you used a spear then wow, get LOTS of pictures.. But in the end just show off your weapon of choice.. in all of the photos I just posted the weapon is nicely displayed.. EXAMPLE-

This picture was not planned.. this was literally the FIRST time I layed my hands on him and was checking him out..

To be honest, the real reason I am posting this is because I LOVEEE looking at everyones photos when they post them in here.. I am just wanting everyone to show off their trophy in here as best as they can.. And these are just a few pointers on how...

Last edited by -DeerSlayer-; 09-24-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post, this will help alot of people
Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

some real nice deer you have there! great pics too.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

very nice pics, good pointers and great deer. Nice job
Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Taking Those QUALITY pictures this season..-illinois-pic-s.jpg

DeerSlayer- Nice pic's. of some really nice buck's. Would you happen to know why my pic's keep coming up in the format of a thumbnail? You can click on them and they will go to full size but that's not rt. I can't figure it out. I've been uploading through the Manage Attachment browser. I know it's operator error. Thanks!

Dan

Last edited by mfd1027; 09-24-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great pointers and some great bucks you got there too!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great, i like everything you described and i hate the Back of the Truck Pics too..Those are some nice deer you have there to..Thanks for sharing..

-NICK
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

Wear gloves and SMILE!! Get your kid in there too and then send it to a state (Fish and Game) magazine...they eat that up!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always good to remind people to take good pics. There's a sticky at the top of the bowhunting page with tons of good info in it as well. I HATE HATE HATE pics of deer in the back of the truck, or in the driveway with a bunch of people rubber necking in the background. The difference between a terrible picture and a good one is about 15 seconds worth of work. Some of the best pics I have are of a buck I shot with my bow, and the pics are in my friends yard, with one of their cedar hedges as the backdrop. It doesn't take much effort to really have a nice picture, and you don't have to be in the woods to do it.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

What about those of us who hunt alone??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.