Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com >

NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hmthtrfan
I am not saying that some shops are not that educated or reliable, but the majority can greatly help an "up and comer" get started properly.
I really would like to think that but not in my area, out of about 5 shops only one truely knows what their doing.
I was at bass pro for a simple adjustment and this guy got me so pissed I walked behind the counter and grabbed my bow from him.
I pretty much do it all myself now.
I have been to shops that diss my bow I bring in for things to be done. Its like if you dont have a matthews your a sub human
That in my opinion is utterly wrong.
Bow hunters and shops can sometimes be elitests (sp)
I dont get along with guys I meet at bow shops for that reason.
All Im there for is a string replacement etc. keep yout F'n comments to yourself. Pisses me off I tell ya.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

First let me say I understand where you are coming from. I have seen it first hand.

But that might not be the case for the Post Starter, going to a Bass Pro or Big Box Store would do him an injustice. In the fact that they do not have the experiance (in most cases) or the time to spend really helping him get the bow that is right for him.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Spike

If I was in that situation I would check archerytalk.com and buy a good used newer bow. You can pick up a great bow for around 400 dollars, just spend your time and get one that is easy to shoot. I would recommend a Bowtech General, long brace height, fast, quiet, and very little handshock. Thats just me.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Spike

Dont get a wisker biscuit. I still use a boodoodle rest and it holds a arrow well. If you can sit on your butt and draw your bow back then your pulling the right pounds. If not you need to get use less poundage but you can figure that out after you get a bow. If you have a good bow shop that can fit you to the right size bow, your draw lenght.
Mathews make a top of the line bow and I'm still shooting a MQ1 from like ten years ago and it works great!!!! Highly recomended!!! I would get a good used one but make sure you buy one from someone that knows what the hell they are talking about and can help you out. Hopefully they have a shooting range there for you to try it out first.
For sights dont get any that dont have backing for the optic wires, they get snagged and broken to easy. I used the extreme archery brand. Dont skimp on the sights!!! After all you need to see them easily in low light.

Last edited by randyshunting; 09-28-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a similer budget i end up with a reflex excursion i love it shoots great and since they where shelfed for new modules there rather cheap now. Get a good bow proplery like 300 bucks new maybe 200 used depending on what your buy. Then if you have to buy cheap but good add ons. IE sight rest so on. It is alot easier to buy that 100 sight later and can a 40 dollar one then to buy that 500 bow later and can the usef 100 or even 200 bow you now do not want.