HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Zero Plane Fixed Blade Broadhead search (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/304702-zero-plane-fixed-blade-broadhead-search.html)

djdkman 09-23-2009 09:46 PM

Zero Plane Fixed Blade Broadhead search

So, back in my newbie days I attempted to use the highly hyped 100gr thunderheads...damn things wouldn’t group…..high and left...switched to Vortec and killed some deer…..got hooked on expendables....that was 1993...granted I have moved on to Jackhammer SSTs in 100gr....but..I would love to find a broadhead that doesn’t plane...I just read allot on "Zero Plane" broadheads by American broad head Company.....also read lots of G5s...my arrows are 32"s long and I run 4 inch vanes with slight helical...I am looking for a NON-PLANE fixed blade (cut-on contact or chisel) broadhead. I don’t want to buy tons of different kinds...but would settle on experimenting with a few different recommendations.

Suggestions?

Rickmur 09-24-2009 12:16 AM

Try the Shuttle T. Works for me.

bigcountry 09-24-2009 04:24 AM

I never knew vortex was out in 1993?

Anyway, montecs plane little to none. Its easy to spot a low planing BH. Less surface area, less planing. I was trying to BH tune my commander 2 years ago. and tried with Montec's and couldn't get any reaction with regard to POI with field points. So I put on some phantoms and steel force (high planing BH) and tuned it in, and still montecs hit with field points and grouped better.

But I had trouble getting the sharpness desired with montecs. I killed 3 deer with the same head. But I notice I didn't get the wound channel I wanted.

I moved to tricks and they plane more than G5's. Any 4 blade will.

Honestly I don't care if my heads plane or not if my bow is tuned and arrows spine matches that. One also needs to go thru their arrows and spine tune. I find 30% of arrows have inconsistent spines.

I want to try the shuttles. They look like quality head.

MeanV2 09-24-2009 04:36 AM

I've never had any trouble getting any of the top broadheads to fly if I wanted to shoot them. Muzzys were the hardest and Slick Tricks were the easiest. I actually prefer 4 blade heads for more cutting.

IMHO Slick Tricks are as good as it gets when it comes to flight, toughness, and damage inflicted.;)

Dan

Wheatley 09-24-2009 05:15 AM

I like anything with a short profile and cut on contact. I use the Wacems but also like the magnus stingers, shuttle t, Montecs, Slick tricks. There are a few other brands out there as well. The wacems fly perfect and I have no reason to switch.

boilermaker85 09-24-2009 05:19 AM

g5's fly very true! and are near indestructable! keep em sharp tho!

Carpmaster 09-24-2009 05:50 AM

The biggest thing with broadhead flight is tuning....I have no issues with any quality head out of my bow.....now that i tuned it correctly!

BOWHUNTER818 09-24-2009 06:05 AM

I shoot Muzzy's with a stiff spined arrow out of my 70# General , and experince little planing but my group is so good i cand shoot in the same spot cause it tears stuff up..I have also shot the slick tricks that were very easy to tune but i didnt like the small cutting diamiter compared to my muzzy..I would like to try the MUZZY PHANTOM, have heard good things about its ability to tune like a FP..
Good luck with your find,

-NICK

MeanV2 09-24-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTER818 (Post 3452162)
I shoot Muzzy's with a stiff spined arrow out of my 70# General , and experince little planing but my group is so good i cand shoot in the same spot cause it tears stuff up..I have also shot the slick tricks that were very easy to tune but i didnt like the small cutting diamiter compared to my muzzy..I would like to try the MUZZY PHANTOM, have heard good things about its ability to tune like a FP..
Good luck with your find,

-NICK

Which Trick you shoot? The Magnums and the Grizz Tricks will cut a hole as Big or Bigger than any muzzy and they are much tougher and sharper.:s4:

Dan

HoytMT2332 09-24-2009 09:49 AM

I recommend the American boradhead sonics or libertys. I've killed deer with both and both group with my fieldpoints. Also scary sharp. My bow isnt very fast, But the guy i hunt with shoots a Parker force multiplier, and the sonics fly like his field tips too. Very good penetration, cuz they are cut on contact.