Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bad Rage Experience?? >

Bad Rage Experience??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Rage Experience??

Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine said he shot a doe opening day with a 3 blade and the arrow passed thru without the blades opening. The deer ran into a swamp and he couldn't recover it. Myself, with 2 blades last year got a clean pass thru and short tracking job. This year, I hit a little high and spined one, he went down in his tracks. I finished him off with a muzzy because I didn't want to see him suffer and bleed out slowly and I didn't want to use another rage on a deer that was going nowhere. I still don't know how the head stood up to hitting bone, it's still embeded in his spine. The shaft broke and I tried pulling it out by the shaft with pliers, but the shaft wasn't strong enough. I'll check it out when I process the deer (its still hanging in a friend's walk-in fridge).
Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

I think they are good. I killed a doe last year with one. I would shoot them if i had a heavier draw weight. I didnt get a pass through on the doe, so im going back to thunderheads.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

Just another reason I went back to a Cut on Contact broadhead. I dont want to sit and worry about my broadhead at the moment of truth.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have harvested game with upwards of 40 different broadhead models both fixed and mechanical.
I have had what I called failures with both types but more with the mechanicals than fixed. I just choose not to use the mechanical type broadheads anymore because top notch, great flying heads are available that will also inflict major damage.

I do think the Rage is one of the better choices in mechanical type broadheads. Just not my cup of tea though.

Dan
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO, the rage is another version of the Rocky Sniper 2-blade broadhead. Extremely accurate and I have not had any complaints about on game preformance. My only negative is when stalk hunting. I am right handed, so I will occasionally drop my left had down to my side. This causes the the bow and arrow to face behind me or the direction I just came from. Hope that is clear. Anyways, when walk through high grass or brush, I had the blades snag. This snag caused the blades to come loose from the o ring. I caught this error before I had to shoot. I have test fired broadheads with the blades open and the results were terrible. Since I practice with my broadheads and do not like to change anything once the season rolls around, I switched to fix blades.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Spike

I shot a buck with the 3 blade 2 years ago and wasn't impressed. I double lunged him but he left absolutely no blood trail and ran 200 yards. I couldn't believe it. My dad and I looked for him for a while and my dad happened to walk over to the pond 200 yards from my stand and saw him floating in the water 15 ft from the bank! There was no blood on the bank and no where leading to the pond. I was pretty dumfounded. But, the next day I shot a doe (double lung) and she only ran 50 yards with one of the best blood trails I've ever seen. I guess it's hit and miss but I honestly don't feel comfortable with their flight. I feel way more confident with G5 montecs.