Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Scent Free - Laundry Process:  What do you do? >

Scent Free - Laundry Process: What do you do?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Free - Laundry Process: What do you do?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I wash my clothes in atsko wash and hang em in the horse stalls=]
Seems to me like it works.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jellio5
I haven't read threw everyones responce's here so sorry if this is a duplicate.

Here is my yearly routine I usually hunt 3-5 times a week from September 19th-November 15th and longer if I haven't filled my tags. I don't own the high dollar scentlok stuff if you ask me its just another way to get us hunters to waste money all I have is just camo clothes I got at either Walmart or Gander Mountain. I rarerly if ever get winded and I've found I don't have to play the wind nearly as much if I follow my routine.

Step 1. Run a complete cycle on my wash machine with no clothes in there but a double dose of scent free laundry soap.

Step 2. Wash all my hunting clothes (hats,gloves,face masks,pants,shirts,jackets) with scent free laundry detergent.

Step 3. Go out in the yard and dig a hole and throw my rubber boots in there and cover it up and let them sit for 2-3 days if they are new boots you'll want to let them sit for a week or more.

Step 4. Take all my clothes etc that I washed and hang them on the line in the woods in the back yard till there dry once there dry spray them down with scent killer spray and allow them to dry again.

Step 5, Wash out my plastic bin with scent free soap and spray with scent killer let it air dry once dry put all my clothes in there and wait for my boots once they've sat for a couple days in the dirt I take them out and spray them down with the hose and dry them off and spray with scent killer being carefull to not get the insides wet usually I stuff some newspaper in them to soak up any moisture trying to get in.

Once I have everything washed nothing returns in the house. Once my boots are done I take my bin up to my hunting land where I dug a hole approximatly the same size as my bin and put my bin the hole and cover it up with brush and sticks (I also spray painted my bin camo) if you have to do this make sure you do it right after the season and leave it outside until you need it so the scent goes away. I usually start this whole ordeal about 2-3 weeks before the upcoming season. Once thats done I have another bin at home and I'll wash 5 towels and 5 sets of under clothes (flannel pants,boxer shorts,socks,tee shirt) in scent free soap and hang them to dry on the line and spray them with scent killer. Once dry they go in the bin which I spray with scent killer as well and they stay outside so I have 5 sets of clean stuff ready to go. Once I'm down to my last set of under clothes I know its time to rewash my outter clothes so at the end of that hunt I'll bring them home and repeat the process except I don't do anything with my boots just leave them outside.

The day of a hunt I'll shower in scent free soap and put scent free deodorant on then put my already scent free clothes on and head out the door I don't stay in the house more than a minute or two once I get dressed out of the shower I also never stop on the way to my hunting land if I need gas I do it in the morning or the day before I hunt.

Once I get to my land I get dressed in my camo and reapply scent killer spray to my camo and body paying special attention to my boots and legs and underarms and hands. I also use one natural earth scent wafer on my hat which I replace every 5 hunts on average. You can never use to much scent killer IMO. I then spray the grip on my bow and my realese with scent killer along with my arrow and quiver and wipe them off with a paper towel. I carry a little bottle of scent killer in my pocket and when I get to my stand and have climbed up (I use climbers) I spray my stand down really quick mostly where I have touched it with bare hands and when it gets cold and I wear gloves this isnt' needed. I almst hate to admit this but another thing I do is get a haircut the day before the season and get it cut as short as my wife will let me....believe it or not alot of scent is on the top of your head.....no facial hair during deer season either.

Call me nuts but my deer sightings have gone up 100% since doing this and I have never REPEAT never been winded in the last 4 years. I have been busted but it was when I moved but I've never had a deer come in put there nose in the air and high tail it outta there. In fact on Sunday I had a doe directly under me at the base of my tree and she never new I was there.
That is one heck of a scent regiment right there!

Shane
Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wash my clothes in baking soda and they are hung outside on the line. I put them in a plastic tote and put them on when I get to my hunting destination. I play the wind at all times. I can't remember the last time I was busted.