Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control ?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent control ?

So ive been reading a few posts about scent control and thought of a few things. I mean some of the biggest deer ever killed happened before scent control was even thought of. But anyway thats beside the point. We all worry so much about scent control and make sure our clothes dont smell and our body doesnt smell and this and that. But i was wondering what about our guns and bows and arrows that we shoot and put our sweaty hands all over to pull them out of the targets. Just think of your release you shoot with in the summer and how much sweat gets soaked into it (for guys who dont have another release they use for hunting only). And how many of us have a seperate clothes washer and drier for hunting clothes. I mean if you wash your hunting clothes in the same washer you wash your regular clothes in i would think that they wouldnt become totally scent free. Just some things i thought of.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

good thought. I will say the majority of people that hunt scent control is a bigger deal to them than it is to the deer. But those that are trophy hunters only, which I am not, you can't eat horns, it is a bigger deal. I do agree I have never thought about my release.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good thought, I too don't think there is a need to get that into scent control.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

thats why i spray my bow down with my quiver on it be4 i go out!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Spike

I agree with what youre saying. You can never be completely scent free, but I am a firm believer in being as scent free as possible. Big bucks use the wind to their advantage. How many times have we seen big deer circle around to come down wind of an area? (even old does do this for you "non trophy hunters"). Whether you buy into the scent products or not, you have to admit: being scent conscious has its advantages.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great points. I know deer can smell at a level that I will never comprehend. Your thinking is why I am bashing the people that worry about their breath.

I do prewash the washer and rarely use the dryer. I don't worry about my release, but sure wouldn't grab it after messing with gasoline, etc. It does sit outside with my bow in appropriate weather.

BTW - I have witnessed both a deer and a coyote bust my stinking a$$ on the same hunt. Both traveled the same path as they approached my location. The deer smelled me at 40 - 50 yards and the coyote at about 70. Same result. They stopped in their tracks lifted their nose and split. I got down and left.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Im a pretty big scent control freak myself and im a trophy hunter just because i have the ground to manage bid bucks but i do shoot does. But the way i look at it, if your spending the big bucks to be scent free then you might as well look at it from every aspect.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
Im a pretty big scent control freak myself and im a trophy hunter just because i have the ground to manage bid bucks but i do shoot does. But the way i look at it, if your spending the big bucks to be scent free then you might as well look at it from every aspect.
Absolutely, its all or nothing in my opinion. If youre wearing a scent lok suit but leaving your head exposed or your hands exposed, or wearing leather boots, or whatever it may be, you might as well forget it.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

A study has proven men produce more scent from their hands than a woman and the test was done from a fishing standpoint. Our hands transfer scent, I always spray my hands, release, and then wear gloves which are also sprayed, oh, and I always keep my pull-up rope high up by my stand after pulling my bow up.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

I may do a lot of scent control... but I don't want to end up saying: "Man, I wish that monster buck didn't smell me."

I do it to be more safe than sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.