HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   buck down but no recovery YET updated with photo's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/304555-buck-down-but-no-recovery-yet-updated-photos.html)

okeechobeefishing 09-22-2009 06:14 PM

buck down but no recovery YET updated with photo's

Well this is a first for me. Had a 6 point walk out tonite and thought I had made a good shot. Shot him at 5.54pm. Waited a little while and got down just to find my arrow. Found it pretty easy with that tracernock just flashing. Noticed though that it wasn't a great shot a litle far back. So i just backed out and waited on my buddy to finish his hunt. At 7.57pm started to look for sign. Not to hard to find got on it not a lot of blood but not hard to follow. got to a place where it looked like he stopped and then totally lost it. Proably should have waited longer but down here in South Florida it is so stinking hot that you can't leave it over nite. So left my arrow a last sign of blood and will be out looking tomorrow. Question I have heard they will go to water when shot like this when people say this could he be totally in the water there is a pretty big pond 75 yards from where we lost it at. Any other suggestions would be great . Thanks Jerry

bigbucks98 09-22-2009 06:27 PM

make a big circle looking around the area for blood. sumtimes clots will sumtimes stop the bleeding but the wayy you described it that buck shuldnt go far. try the pond if you dont find other sign itl be worth a shot

blakefrautschi 09-22-2009 06:29 PM

i would start off looking towards the water...but i would just comb the area in search of blood... im guessing it was dark by the time you got to looking.... i would guess you'll find him tomorrow morning. good luck!

Greg / MO 09-22-2009 06:29 PM

While you're waiting, it'd be a good idea to read Rob's "recovery thread" stickied at the top. :)

hoyt3 09-23-2009 03:47 AM

It's been my experience that when you just 'lose blood' it's because the deer made a hard turn. Yes, they do it. I'd start looking hard to either side of his trail.

Western MA Hunter 09-23-2009 04:24 AM

any luck? Keep us posted...

Planter 09-23-2009 05:26 AM

Good luck Jerry.. I do agree with Hoyt3 that if you lost the blood sundenly think about a hard turn. Do the best you can.:s1:

okeechobeefishing 09-23-2009 09:56 AM

Alright Found him this morning only around 40 or 50 yds from the last sign we found last nite. Was out there before daylight this morning and was looking as soon as I could see. Didn't find any more blood or nothing on where he might of went. It was real thick right in that area. walked in circles around the area but nothing. Decided to get on the 4 wheeler and just search the area the best I could. well I found him and was pretty glad I did was really feeling guilty about the whole situation. Trying to upload photo's but can't seem to get it done will try again.

BUCKMARK 09-23-2009 10:01 AM

Way to stick with it. Congrats on your buck...

rh160kid 09-23-2009 10:19 AM

Congrats on your deer-nice recovery, way to stick with it.