HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   interested in bow hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/304550-interested-bow-hunting.html)

shawnster88 09-22-2009 05:43 PM

interested in bow hunting

Hey guys, I'm interested in getting into bows and bow hunting. I've never owned a bow and don't know anything about them. What would be a decent bow to start off with on a budget? Thanks.

bigbucks98 09-22-2009 06:24 PM

go online or to a local dealer and try out the bear archery series. ive gotta instinct and the element and theyre both great bows. give them a try. there what ppll call a "quality budget bow", their dependable, fastt as hell in the higher draw weights, quiet, and very accurate. im shooting 74 lbs draw weight, 29" draw length, shooting muzzy mx3 100 grain broadheads and it performs amazinglyy

Windwalker7 09-22-2009 07:09 PM

There are lots of "good" bows out there. Being on a budget will limit what you can get your hands on.

There are Bear, PSE, Parker, Diamond, Martin, Browning and many others.

There are more top of the line brands like Matthews, Bowtech, Hoyt also. You could find a used bow in one of these brands also. many times, someone selling a used bow will sell it ready to rock and roll with sights, rest, arrows and the whole nine yards. This may be a better option for you.

If you can find your way to a pro shop and explain your circumstances, they may help you out.

If you can, you need to take a few shots with some bows to get a feel with the whole thing.

To me, one important thing is how a bow feels in my hand. It just has to feel right.

As you know (or maybe not) Matthews makes a top of the line bow. But I personally do not like the way they feel in my hand.

Try to find one that has "the feel"

Try to find a pro shop or archery range in you area and hang out there and try to learn by watching others. Ask questions.

dman4505 09-23-2009 05:51 AM

I agree with Windwalker get to an archery shop or sporting goods store (BassPro, Cabelas, etc.) that has a range and get as many as you can in your hands. We can all give you our picks but it comes down to what "fits" you. I went to a local archery shop and shot everything I could get my hands on from a PSE to a Hoyt and the one that felt "perfect" in my hands was a Jennings Rack Master. I've only bow hunted for three years so I'm far from an expert, but I work for Cabela's and I talk to the guys in the archery department every chance I get that way I can learn some things.

Don

jgbrown 09-23-2009 05:54 AM

I personally got into bow hunting 2 or 3 years ago. I didnt have much money at the time and had to get a cheaper bow. So i went to my local archery shop and the owner suggested i get a Parker. I ended up getting a Parker Wildfire XP. The bow comes with a Whisker Biscuit, a three pin sight, and a 4 arrow quiver. And it is priced around $450. I honestly didnt get to shoot the bow before i bought it, but once i got home and shot it i fell in love with it. The only beef i have with the bow is that it isnt as quite as i would like for it to be. But that is something aftermarket products can fix. So just from my experience, i would look into the Parker bows. They are good quality for a good price. They also come with a lifetime warrenty.

Snook384 09-23-2009 06:14 AM

Also scroll down to the section where people are selling archery equipment. You can get some good deals on used bows. For example my Mathews completely set up was just under 1,500 dollars. My buddy bought the EXACT (same year even) same setup from one of the guys at the pro shop for 650. I mean arrows quiver and all. do a little shopping maybe even on craigslist but a lot of bow hunters have bought new bows for the season and would let their older bows go for a good price for you.

Snook384 09-23-2009 06:16 AM

Of course the neat thing about bow hunting is once you get all the gear you need you dont have to buy any more. My buddy has been bow hunting for 33 years and he still has not bought all the gar he "needs". :)

RIStrutStopper 09-23-2009 06:42 AM

If you're serious about it, do it right. Get to a pro shop (avoid the big box stores) and get measured. You want to know your draw length. Getting a bow that fits you will mean a world of difference in terms of form and comfort. Don't over-bow yourself. You can kill any deer walking with a 60 pound bow and it will be easier to practice with and also to draw back in cold weather after sitting on stand for a couple hours than a 70+ pound bow. If you feel the need to shoot heavier, make sure you're comfortable with the weight. You don't want to have to point to the sky just to be able to draw your bow. Shoot a bunch of bows in your price range. Used is good too. Nobody can tell you what bow you will feel comfortable with except for you. What may be great for me might feel like crap to you. Keep trying bows until you find some you are comfortable with, then narrow it down from there. If you have any questions, come back here. There are a lot of folks here that will be happy to help you out. Good Luck!

HoytMT2332 09-23-2009 10:27 AM

A bow i would recommend trying is the PSE stinger. Very good bow for the money. Quiet and forgiving. I paid 425 all setup and ready to hunt. If you can try one at a pro shop. 425 is after tax and everything. Remember its not how fast your bow shoots thats kills deer. It's how well u shoot your bow. And don't get abow with a heavy draw weight unless you can handle it, I'm shooting 57 lbs, and im 3 for 3 on deer. A draw weight that is too heavy wont do anything but make u shoot worse. You dont need 70 pounds to kill a deer, although there are benefits. Good luck, and hope you get into it. You wont regret it.

shawnster88 09-23-2009 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. There's a couple small shops around here that I'll try to check out. I don't know if any of them have a range or not. We also have a Bass Pro about 45 minutes away too. I can't handle a heavy draw, I'm 6' 130 pounds, you could say I'm scrawny...hehe. Thanks again.