Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit? >

Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default Arrowed Buck Lost/Lethal Hit?

On Sept 15 in the evening I was out for the opener. A half hour before dark I had a decent 8 point come out in front of my blind. Right as he came to a stop I put my 20 yard pin behind the shoulder and let er rip. I hit him directly through the shoulder, a few inches to the left of where I aimed. I am shooting the Rage 2 Blade and the arrow stuck in him as he bolted off. My initial thought was that it may not have been a good hit..too far forward and that I should probably come back in the morning as it was getting dark. But then I was thinking that I have to be at work first thing in the morning and plus its 65 degrees out and the meat will spoil. So I waited a little bit and started heading towards the direction he ran. As I got over the hill I saw my lighted Easton Tracer nock flashing in the tall grass. I got super excited thinking that was him laying there dead with the arrow still in him. As I got to the arrow I found just the arrow. It must have popped out of him. Looking at the blood on the arrow it penetrated about 8 inches. That’s where the blood trail started. It wasn’t a great trail but there was enough blood to stay on it. It looked a little bubbly which made me think it was lung blood. Me and my buddy tracked him for probably 500 yards and then the bloodtrail ran out. After no luck we went home. After being a wreck the next morning at work I decided to go back out on my lunch break and we still could not find him after combing through the woods. So my question is…Is 8 inches through the shoulder enough penetration to get one lung and maybe part of the second? Don’t the lungs extend far forward into the shoulder area? I was thinking he had to die. I know there was a chance we bumped him too but I couldn’t come back the next morning and wanted to find him that night. I was thinking there wasn’t enough blood but I know they can be bleeding more internally than externally. This was the first buck I have ever arrowed and was terribly excited to only end up disappointed. I just switched to the Rage and was thinking maybe I would have had better penetration with my good ole reliable Muzzy. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

When you said you waited a "little bit" before heading out after him, exactly how long did you wait?? Fifteen, twenty minutes? Sounds to me like he was being puched. Just my opinion and based off my experience but normally when you have a decent blood trail going for a good five hundred yards and then it stops its because he started running again. Tuff position to be in with heat, I understand the want to not let him pile up and stay out over night and let the meat spoil but sounds like you didn't wait long enough to me... again just my opinion
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
bigcountry

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would use a mechanical.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

X 100! While just my opinion, mechanicals and overdraws, when all else is equal, are ingredients to many of these stories. Not always, obviously.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Spike

Sorry to hear you lost one.I am a little discouraged to hear you were using 2 blade Rages as I just bought some for this year.Hope they perform as they claim in the commercials.If you think you waited long enough before you took up the trail I would hold them to there guarantee!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not tying to rain on your parade, and you must have been pumped shooting your first buck, but a shoulder hit you should wait at least an hour if not more. If he was quarting a little towards you you might have hit a lung. Odds are where you found your arrow is where he stopped and possibly pulled it out. You might have bumped him if you did not wait long enough. Tall grass is a good place for a wounded deer to lie down.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone uses mechanicals! Except people afraid of change. I think imo 8 inches would get a lung.prob not a great shot considering your using a bow?jmo shotgun yep take em with that shot. The deer prob wont make it(internal bleeding) entry wound on top no exit. Next time be patient let him give you a good shot broadside or quartering. Sorry man. Goodluck!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry

Shoot what YOU want bud and I'll shoot what works for me. I would rather be accurate with my mechs than get a hemroid trying to group fixed blades @ 50 yrds!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
bigcountry

But to answer the question. 8" is enought, but just because you have 8" of blood does not mean 8" of penetration. Problem with the shoulder is it doesn't bleed. We have all been there. It sucks. Best thing you could have done is wait at least 3 hours. Espeically with marginal hit. That way he would have laid down for the dirt nap.

But again, not bagging you. Sorry to hear about your deer.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by butternuts
Shoot what YOU want bud and I'll shoot what works for me. I would rather be accurate with my mechs than get a hemroid trying to group fixed blades @ 50 yrds!

Hmm, I wasn't replying to you, hense what are you talking about, and who are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.