Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent issues

Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scent issues

I’m pretty anal about my scent control. I try to hunt the wind, but where I hunt, you don’t always know which direction deer will be coming from, and I believe when deer bust me and blow, it puts all the deer in the area on edge. Anyhooo...my questions are:

1) I have not been able to find the Atsko sport wash in any stores (Walmart, Gander Mtn, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.) this year. Did they stop making it? Have you found any in stores?

2) I have about 2/3rds of a bottle of Atsko’s from last year. Can I still use it?

3) I like to shower with unscented soap before I hunt, but I can’t shower where I sleep in the morning before I hunt, because it wakes my friend’s wife (understandable, and she’s very cool about hunting and letting me hunt her land). (I live in the city and 2+ hours from where I hunt. So I stay with friends who own the land where I hunt.) To compensate for lack of a shower:
a) I shower the night before with unscented soap (which I also use for shampoo), use uncented deodorant and wash my hands and face with unscented soap before I leave the house.
b) When I get to the bottom of the mountain where I hunt, I completely change clothes (down to, but not including, my tighty whities) and put on layers of scent-free clothes, spraying each layer with Scent Killer spray as I put it on. Also, my base layer has that silver thread stuff that is supposed to help eliminate body odor.
c) I wear gloves on my way to my stand and am as careful as possible about touching any branches, etc. on my way to my stand.
d) I spray down my equipment (which is stored sealed, away from human scent) with Scent killer before I head up the mountain.

Is there anything else you think I should be doing to compensate for not showering that will help me meet the deer of my dreams? ;-)
Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Google Atsco, and go to their web site. You can order it right on line. I ordered some just last week.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, BigDaddy12t. I checked out their site and found a place not far away that sels it. WallyWorld used to sell it, but no more.

Anyone know if I can use the 2/3rd of a bottle I have left over from last year? Will it still eliminate my human scent? Any other ideas about ways to compensate for not being freshly "laundered" myself?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Spike

one thing you didnt say is scent free mouth wash or tooth paste
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default how i do it

i like to wash my clothes in a sportwash and use the woodsy smelling dryer sheets and after i dryem i put it in a bag and add 2 of the woodsy dryers sheets to each bag and when u get ready 2 hunt ur good i also use the scentkiller in the green sparay bottle i forgot the name but its sumthin like silver xp u can get it at walmart before i get to the woods i spray everything cloth i bring in the woods including my gun and bow sling now if the ruts right i know this is gonna sound crazy pour doe estrus in a ziplick bag and get a unscented tampon and use for a scent wick and hang in trees near your stand or to tie to your boots and drag behind u hope this helps

adam
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

You seem to take a lot of precaution in your scent control. I personally use fresh earth detergent for my clothes and store them in Rubbermaid totes with fresh earth wafers. A couple things to try or give some thought. First your boots, what kind of boots are you wearing? The boots that come up your leg just below your knee are great for keeping scent out of the woods. I got a pair of camo ones with 1000 grams of thinsulate from the Sportsmans Guide catalog for $40. Next, your sleeping arrangements. Are you using your friends bed or you sleeping in a sleeping bag? Your pillow or theirs??? If all the stuff is theirs, get you a sleeping bag and wash it in scent free soap as well and the pillow cover and store it in a bag when not being used. Now what about your pack? Is it scent free? Does it have any material on it that can hold scent in?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dead down wind makes some wipes that work really well. If you cannot shower in the morning, pack these in and wipe down real good after you get in the stand. Not the same as a shower, but still effective.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

yea...i dont take this much precaution about scent control and still hardly ever get busted...watch your thermals...morning thermals are normally rising where i live so we dont have to watch scent control as much but id say after all that you dont have to worry much about a morning shower...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Dead down wind makes some wipes that work really well. If you cannot shower in the morning, pack these in and wipe down real good after you get in the stand. Not the same as a shower, but still effective.
The wipes are great, I use them a ton when it is a little warmer outside and sweat can be an issue. I've always got a couple in my pack just in case. Otherwise, sounds like you have a very good regimen, especially for not being able to shower before heading out. I would get some wipes, and then wipe off when you get to your stand. I'm sure you already know this, but when walking in, keep clothing to a MINIMUM. I have walked in with just boxers before, I sweat like a pig, so I need all the help I can get. Now, I wear some THIN mesh shorts walking in, and just a wifebeater on most days, then dress when I get to my spot. If its warm, I can wipe off first, without removing a bunch of clothing.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice averyone. I will try to find those wipes. Ar ethey resonably priced? A lot of DDW stuff is overpriced, IMHO. And I saw some of those disposable activated carbon breath shield masks...they're $4 a pop for looks like one-time use. Pretty pricey, given the other options, I think. Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.