Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Time between bows >

Time between bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time between bows

Old 09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I usually get a new one every 2-3 years. Every year bow makers are improving their lineup, and coming out with new technology. But if you make the right choice and buy any one of the top of the line bows, your not going to notice too much from one year to the next....unless you switch bow types. By that I mean your priorities change from a smooth draw cycle and no hand shock to a speed bow, or any other drastic change. But think about....most of the bows these days are shooting 300+ feet per second. If you own one, how much do you really need to improve? Thats more than enough to take down any big game in the world, and shoot 60 yards at a 3D tournament. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Check out the new bows out there....and shoot 15-20 of them before you buy one. Shoot one against the other and put one into a keep pile and the other into a no pile. Keep working them down until you find a couple you like. Them shoot them again...maybe even come back a different day and bring someone with you. Have them shoot the bow so you can pay attention to the noise you hear, which we all know can be very important when hunting. Dont make a decision without shooting a variety of bows...you might be missing out on the bow thats meant for you. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

been rocking the General, this will be my second season with "El Jefe". Doubt I will change anytime soon, unless I stop shooting this one as well as I do. :-)
Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Spike

I bought a browning for 180 dollars when I was 13, just got a new one two years ago when the 82nd airborne came out. My old bow shot 209fps, and the hand shock was terrible, I never noticed at the time. I shot it even after I got the 82nd. However after shooting the Bowtech for a year I tried to shoot my old bow, and the vibration felt like it would shake the teeth out of my head, I couldn't believe it. If I did it again I would go with the admiral or a general, the quiet thing impresses me, and the fact my buddys admiral shoots within 20 fps of my 82nd and dead quiet with zero hand shock. That part really gets me now days.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I try to buy a new model every year in the used market. So I pay like $650, it works well because I then sell it for about $625 so in the spring and do it all over again!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

good idea let someone eat the new bow price like a new car then resale and move up just like a car.
Originally Posted by 5575gb
I try to buy a new model every year in the used market. So I pay like $650, it works well because I then sell it for about $625 so in the spring and do it all over again!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I've been rocking my vectrix for the third season and see no point in changing anytime soon!! Had a Golden Eagle for about 12 years before I made the switch.......
Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

About every two years or so.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

real good post. You make alot of differnt points. The bow i have was a xmas present from mom and dad. Though i did most of the research and everything i tryied out most of the reflexs when we talked about buying one. But i did not shoot any. I wanted the high end model i forget the name. I did not care for the feel of the reflex excursion though i liked the look. I opened the box and there it was. I was still happy i just wanted a bow plus it was along way from the pse i looked at at wallmart. When i took it in to have it setup the guys at the archary shop my mom worked at told me if i did not like it i could tried it in. I almost did for the high end model. But i shot it about 40 times and loved it. I even like it more the the high end bow something about the feel of it after i shot it. The only proplem i have now is the grips there plastic and suck. I am thinking of switching them when i change my sight this week. But i love my excursion now. I could when a new hoyt or matthews and i would still keep and shot the reflex just not as often.
Originally Posted by dmounts
I usually get a new one every 2-3 years. Every year bow makers are improving their lineup, and coming out with new technology. But if you make the right choice and buy any one of the top of the line bows, your not going to notice too much from one year to the next....unless you switch bow types. By that I mean your priorities change from a smooth draw cycle and no hand shock to a speed bow, or any other drastic change. But think about....most of the bows these days are shooting 300+ feet per second. If you own one, how much do you really need to improve? Thats more than enough to take down any big game in the world, and shoot 60 yards at a 3D tournament. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Check out the new bows out there....and shoot 15-20 of them before you buy one. Shoot one against the other and put one into a keep pile and the other into a no pile. Keep working them down until you find a couple you like. Them shoot them again...maybe even come back a different day and bring someone with you. Have them shoot the bow so you can pay attention to the noise you hear, which we all know can be very important when hunting. Dont make a decision without shooting a variety of bows...you might be missing out on the bow thats meant for you. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im still on my first bow ever and im going into my 4th season with it with no plans on switching.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

I am still on my first bow. It is an 11 year old Reflex Express that i bought from a friend. Love the way it shoots and feels, it may be a little loud compared to the newer bows but it works for me. I would love to buy a new one, but money is pretty tight being a college student.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.