Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Opened season!!!  9/19 doe!!! >

Opened season!!! 9/19 doe!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opened season!!! 9/19 doe!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Opened season!!! 9/19 doe!!!

Didn't get to camp till about 8:30. Shot the breeze with my dad for a little bit, thought about taking a nap but decided to go hunting instead. I hadn't been in the woods since March and only buzzed up the hollow on the fourwheeler a couple times this summer. Wholy cow is the undergrowth thick right now!!!! Decided the only chance I would have is to set up on a old logging road (the place was logged bout three years ago so there are several still pretty open). I was easing up one when I saw a tree with about 30 turkey buzzards in it. Stopped and watched them for a little bit. Some of them things are BIG!!! Had enough of them so I continued to ease around the bend. Caught movement in an opening about 75 yards up. It was brown, there's two..... OH BOY IT'S DEER!!! Froze and waited to see what they were going to do.

About 15 yards in front of me, in the middle of the logging road was a large mudhole. The yearling deer started moving straight toward me. I'd already decided, whatever gives me the first shot was going down! Yearling, doe or button buck(antlered bucks are off limits right now). Our freezer was empty.

The yearling stops beside the waterhole behind a little brush. I thought she would move to the right and drink so I came to full draw. Of course it went left behind a thicket and stood there. The bigger deer was still in the clearing about 75 yards out.... and looking dead at me...... Thought, game over. BUT she starts trotting up the same path the yearling took. At this point I'd been at full draw for close to a minute, i estimate(maybe not that long, you know how things go when the adrenaline is going). I lower my bow arm to take some pressure off my shoulders and not get the shakes (80% letoff is awesome )

The doe stops at about the 45 yard range (estimating) and turns quartering to me. I'm thinking it's now or never, she's getting ready to bolt into the woods. Raise my bow arm, find my anchor, put the pin high on her, almost to her back, aim for exit and release. It seemed like the arrow flew for a minute! Then THWACK!!!!!! She spin to her right 180 and bounds across the road into the woods. I believe i heard her crash but didn't want to push her. Finally the yearling runs off (that would have been a 15 yard chip shot)....... I walk to where she was standing. Find first blood. Mark it and head back to camp to get dad to help track. I was sure I heard her crash, but I lost a deer a couple years ago by pushing her to soon.

Forty-five minutes later we are back and started tracking. Find first blood, and a couple speckles, but nothing like I hopped. Dad moved ahead about ten yards and say, "Well hell, there she is...." She went a whole 25 yards from where she was hit. There was MUCH blood where she crashed. And chest cavity was full. perfect double lung and Y's on entrance and exit holes. Thank goodness I didn't get any of her gut. If she would have taken another bit I think her stomach would have ruptured!

After I dressed her, we looked for my arrow for a little while. Could not find the dang thing. Brush was way high and thick. Temperature was pushing 80 by now so I had to get her checked in and to the processor before she spoiled.

Dad went back up this evening when it cooled down. He found the arrow about 30 feet behind where he deer was standing!!! He said it was completely intact and looked like the head was brand new! Needless to say, I'm completely sold on the Grim Reaper RazorTip broadheads!

This is the result! That was the entrance side, the exit was about three ribs from the back on the off side. This bow is pushing some SERIOUS KE!!!!

Awesome start to the archery season! I hope it's a sign of better things to come! Just thought I'd share my hunt, hope you enjoy!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thats awsome congrats...............
Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

great glad to hear it. Hopefully i can get one this year. Like you if it is brown it is down. I am hungry! Glad the broadhead is working out well.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe, looks like some good eatin!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

A big congrats I spent three days in the stand with no site of deer at all.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe. That will make for some good eatin.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Spike

Great story! Congrats!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story, congrats on a nice doe!

Shane
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the Doe.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.