Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

100 or 125g??

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 100 or 125g??

Last year I used the 100g Rage 2 Blades. They flew straight and I had confidence in them. This year I moved to the G5 Strikers 125g. I have noticed a VERY SIGNIFICANT difference in the way these arrows are flying. I am worried I have made the wrong decision and this is going to mess up my 2nd bow season which has some very good potential. I am actually worried about this because it is too late to go back to 100g and I dont have the money.

Is this normal????
Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting them out of a Crossbow or a Compound Bow??? If you're shooting them out of a CROSSBOW, it's very, very important to make sure that the string is PERFECTLY centered when you **** it, much moreso with a FIXED BLADE HEAD than a Mechanical. If you're talking compound bow, then you need to BH tune the bow and make sure you have the right spine.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

why is it too late to go back???????????
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I made the change to 125gr from 100gr last year for more KE. Didn't loose much of anything, POI or speed. Work with it and make sure your arrows are spined right for the increase in weight and that your bow is tuned right. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Spike

100g is the way to go in my opinion. It is all I have shot for 10 years, but its up to you.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
why is it too late to go back???????????
because i dont have the money to buy 100g broadheads. I have already spent my money on the 125g.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Are you shooting them out of a Crossbow or a Compound Bow??? If you're shooting them out of a CROSSBOW, it's very, very important to make sure that the string is PERFECTLY centered when you **** it, much moreso with a FIXED BLADE HEAD than a Mechanical. If you're talking compound bow, then you need to BH tune the bow and make sure you have the right spine.
I am shooting a crossbow, what do you mean by centering the string?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
I am shooting a crossbow, what do you mean by centering the string?
That string must be PERFECTLY drawn in order to get good flight, similar to us compound guys drawing a bow from different nockpoints, we will get different Points of Impact (POI). I have a crossbow that I marked the string with a SHARPIE, precisely where the center is to ensure that it is drawn perfectly centered to result in better arrow/bolt flight. If it's a crossbow, you'd be better off with a 125gr tip, you're not going to lose much velocity, and you'll have better FOC. Try MARKING the string, and making sure that you draw it very consistently, and you should see better flight, and groupings!!! Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
That string must be PERFECTLY drawn in order to get good flight, similar to us compound guys drawing a bow from different nockpoints, we will get different Points of Impact (POI). I have a crossbow that I marked the string with a SHARPIE, precisely where the center is to ensure that it is drawn perfectly centered to result in better arrow/bolt flight. If it's a crossbow, you'd be better off with a 125gr tip, you're not going to lose much velocity, and you'll have better FOC. Try MARKING the string, and making sure that you draw it very consistently, and you should see better flight, and groupings!!! Good Luck.
Well I straightened my groups up real well. I am actually hitting the the other bolts and chipping them off haha.

But how would you mark the exact center of the string. Im pretty sure it draws to the same spot everytime anyways.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:04 AM
byg
Spike

This is how i marked mine: Unloaded, I marked the string on each side of the rail. Then when you load it, you can see if the marks are even on each side. If not, just pull back on the string alittle to even out. It definetly makes a difference.

Last edited by byg; 09-21-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.