Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
1st time bowhunter-draw weight question >

1st time bowhunter-draw weight question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st time bowhunter-draw weight question

Old 09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default 1st time bowhunter-draw weight question

Hi guys. 53 y.o. newbie here. My bow is set at 60#, can be adjusted to 70#. My question is would a higher draw weight equal faster arrow speed? If so, would that in turn equal less drop at around 30 to 35 yards?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it would equal more speed, and less drop although not night and day differences.

You'd still be best served shooting a weight you can hold comfortably. A good shot is better than a fast bad shot!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

im at 50#s and i am happy with it no need to even think about shooting out to 30 yards. not that im not comfertable with that shot, just i dont think that it is a good shot to make on an animal. All of these big # bows are nice and all, yeah they are fast but they arnt really all that necassary to me. If i were you keep it where its at and only shoot out to about 25 yards. just my 2 cents
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember when its december and you have a lot of clothes on it makes it a lot harder to pull back
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience ~
I had my bow set for 62 lbs. and it shot 231 fps.
I decided to crank it up to a magical "69"lbs and it shot 238 fps.

After sitting in 23 degree temps for 5 hours and trying to pull the 69 lbs back, I realized I couldn't, so I had to get down out of my stand 20 minutes early.

Moral of my story... I went back to an easy 62 lbs, which I could pull back in cold temps, especially seeing I didn't notice much of a difference in drop out to 30 yards...
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

shoot what you can accurctly no speed or flat flying arrow will do you any good if you kit the broad side of the barn when shooting.
But it will help. When i bought mine we worked up from 60 in 2 days i could tell the differnt. Now i am at 68 pounds. Seems to work for my setup.I shot one pin out to 20 or 25 yards. It will be about 2 inchs low at 35.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Spike

yes more poundage = faster arrow speeds which = less drop, but you have to be comfortable shooting a higher poundage. if you are intent on raising the poundage make sure you shoot a lot of target practice to build up your muscles so when its freezing cold in december and you have a lot of clothes on you can still shoot your bow.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Spike

I would leave it at the lower setting
Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Spike

50/60/70/80 or 100, the weight doen't really madder. I have discover that---if your arrow gets to it target at around 230fps they don't jump the string...

Your max draw weight can be determined by. Putting your pin on the target and drawing back the string straight to your cheek without ever taking you pin off the target....

When I started bowhunting 25yrs ago, for practice, I would draw on every deer that came by, even when they looking at me, and let it back down without spooking them.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my own perspective on this and am going to give some advice based on 35+ years of shooting compounds and bowhunting with them. Please bear with me as I have no ill feelings toward anybody.

Being a new guy I would say that in most cases you should not even be thinking of shooting longer than about 30 yards. Those of us with lot of years behind us have learned this. It's the inexperienced that consider longer shots---and 35 yards is considered a long shot in bowhunting. Exceptions might be hunting out west where spot and stalk is more common.

Now, that being said, more poundage does not automatically mean faster arrow speed. Depending on how stiff your arrows are spined for your bow you may have to use a stiffer, heavier arrow if you turn the weight up. This just about negates the gain in speed you are after.

And I'll tell you this. There is not a bow made today that shoots an arrow fast enough, that sighted in for 25 yards, only drops 2" at 35 yards. It is quite possible to take a bow shooting 260-265 fps, set a sight pin for 25 yards, and shoot that pin effectively on deer sized game from 5 yards to 30 yards. The high point would be about 2" at 18 yards and the arrow will drop about 3" at 30 yards----4" at 32 yards. I know. I've done it. It's the kind of things I do.

The othr guys covered the stiff muscles and cold weather very well. Also sounds advice was that of having better accuracy at a lower poundage. Anybody that would dispute this has a testosterone problem or is just in denial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.