Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Did I miss my chance? >

Did I miss my chance?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I miss my chance?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default Did I miss my chance?

I'm pretty new to bowhunting, and was sitting in a stand overlooking a field tonight. I had 3 nice does walk right out in front of me at 20 yards, but I didn't want to shoot because the temperature here in Wisconsin tonight was close to 80 degrees. Since I'm on a field edge and not a trail, did I miss my chance by not pulling the trigger tonight? Can I count on seeing them again soon? I didn't spook them, and I have a salt lick out that they all went to.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

They will be back-you did nothing wrong!!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

They should be back.

A little warning...when hunting over a salt block or bait, the deer tend to get to the salt block or bait pile right at dark. Sometimes, they may come in at last light and spend a good amount of time there, so you would have to kick them off it when leaving at night. So, its may be good to sit a few hundred yards in front of the salt lick. And by in front, I mean in between wherever you think the deer are before they head to the salt lick and the salt lick itself. (Strategy) Hopefully this makes sense!

Good luck and I can assure you that bowhunting is a sport that you will enjoy!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you missed "a" chance but certainly not your last. If they didn't spook even as you walked out for the night, you can probably count on them sticking t a routine for a while yet.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Gotta ask.....

If you're worried about shooting in those temps....what were you doing in the tree?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Gotta ask.....

If you're worried about shooting in those temps....what were you doing in the tree?
He makes a good point....
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

better to go and see, than not try at all!!!! whether or not to kill anything....
Old 09-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Gotta ask.....

Haha I was gonna post that as well. Why hunt if you don't plan on pullin the trigger at a chance. I was hunting tonight too and I don't think it was 80 degrees besides the night temps are finally getting down there. Guy I know shot a 175 inch buck thursday night in the guts left it till mornin and the meat seems fine and the cape isn't slipping and by the looks of it it died within an hour of being shot. The guts where fallin out of it as it was runnin. They trailed guts not blood haha. Good luck they will give ya more chances. WCL
Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback! I was still out there despite the warm temperatures, planning on shooting only if a really nice buck walked by. I'm hoping I can tag a doe when its a little cooler so I can take my time with the meat.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what I thought you'd say.

My thought process would be.....if it's too hot to shoot a doe.....it's too hot to risk shooting a buck.

Not judging.....just trying to understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.