HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What to do in this situation (real, just happened)? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/304234-what-do-situation-real-just-happened.html)

NCBloodtrailer 09-19-2009 04:21 PM

What to do in this situation (real, just happened)?

Well I stuck a big 6 point tonight (i know right, how big can a six point be...well its pretty nice buck actually). Its a dead deer but he covered alot of ground quickly. He crossed a creek onto private property and I can't actually get permission to look for him tonight because the owners wife would throw a bitch fit (or at least thats what he told me). I am really concerned about the meat spoiling or losing blood as the temps won't drop below 60 tonight and there is a chance for rain. What would you do? I want to stay legal but I also would like to recover the deer before it goes bad. Any advice?

WesternMdHardwoods 09-19-2009 04:26 PM

Mmmmm thats a predictament!! I am not sure but in some cases you can check with the DNR to get permission to track on others property for a dead/wounded deer I do believe...in different states I think??
I am not sure I for some reason think I remember someone saying that onetime??

TheMiz54 09-19-2009 04:28 PM

I would go and talk to the owner and get permission. Dress in street clothes and just tell her what happened and be polite and ask if you may look for the deer.

longhunter 66 09-19-2009 04:32 PM

in my state you get the game warden to go with you

NCBloodtrailer 09-19-2009 04:34 PM

I just talked to the landowner within the week, he helped me look for a doe. He said to me, "good thing my wife wasn't here when you showed up", she is apparently antihunter, antihunting and anti any kind of harm to animals. I think I may go out and look, I just don't want to **** him off by upsetting his wife and in the daytime they wouldn't be able to see me from their house. I am just a little nervous about swinging a lantern around because they probably can see the light from their house.

NCBloodtrailer 09-19-2009 04:36 PM

hmm...edits out p-i-s-s but not bitch?

bigtim6656 09-19-2009 04:49 PM

i would ask the husband if at all possible. Either way i would get that deer. I hate tresspassing but it is worst to just leave the deer. Might check into the C.O going with you might atleast get you out there either wya

pwrsrtk350 09-19-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigtim6656 (Post 3446787)
i would ask the husband if at all possible. Either way i would get that deer. I hate tresspassing but it is worst to just leave the deer. Might check into the C.O going with you might atleast get you out there either wya

Really?

I want to recover a deer just as bad as the next guy, but I dont want to break the law doing it.

bigtim6656 09-19-2009 05:57 PM

I know i also know i will get slammed for saying it. But atleast i can say i am honest. I am torn about it. i hate tresspasing and tresspassers i have found people on my land before and get very mad. But i also do not want a dead deer laying in the woods. TO me it is a dammed if i do dammed if i don't. But if i found someone recovering a deer on my property they shot on someone else land i would let them recover it and help them. I would also tell them next time to just let me know. But we all know most people ant that way.

Originally Posted by pwrsrtk350 (Post 3446817)
Really?

I want to recover a deer just as bad as the next guy, but I dont want to break the law doing it.

GMMAT 09-19-2009 06:16 PM

I had a talk with the GW, last Friday.

Go get your deer. NC is a state that you have to be told IMPLICITLY that you CAN NOT trespass......for it to be an offense. It also has to be posted (for you to be charged).

I'd go in....all ninja.

Good luck.

GR8atta2d 09-19-2009 06:26 PM

What's the chances of being caught out there in the dark?

I'm not one to advocate trespassing but sometimes laws get in the way of ethics.

I go recover that deer...and no ones the wiser.

dprsdhunter 09-19-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3446867)

Go get your deer. NC is a state that you have to be told IMPLICITLY that you CAN NOT trespass......for it to be an offense. It also has to be posted (for you to be charged).

I'd go in....all ninja.

Good luck.

There is your answer. GMMAT wouldnt post it if it wasnt true.

I understand how you feel about tresspassing. Most of us feel the same. The guy let you look once so I would think that as long as his wife doesnt know things will be fine.

Once again-after reading GMMAT's post -Go get your deer

OHbowhntr 09-19-2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by pwrsrtk350 (Post 3446817)
Really?

In all HONESTY, with that attitude, I don't believe you are a sportsman with the best interest of our sport at the forefront.

I have no problem with trespassing (breaking the law) to recover a deer, as I owe it to that animal to do my BEST to recover it and use it as it was intended for me to use it. For me NOT to do that because of MAN'S IGNORANT LAWS, is for me to break what I believe is one of NATURE'S LAWS, which are, to me, more important. :confused0024:

I'd go in....all ninja.

Good luck.

Good Information JEFF, thanks for adding that.

Originally Posted by GR8atta2d (Post 3446886)
What's the chances of being caught out there in the dark?

I'm not one to advocate trespassing but sometimes laws get in the way of ethics.

I go recover that deer...and no ones the wiser.

Exactly as I feel Bob, I think there are too many "laws" that were written by people who don't really have good FUNCTIONAL brains.

GMMAT 09-19-2009 07:01 PM

In all HONESTY, with that attitude, I don't believe you are a sportsman with the best interest of our sport at the forefront.

I have no problem with trespassing (breaking the law) to recover a deer, as I owe it to that animal to do my BEST to recover it and use it as it was intended for me to use it. For me NOT to do that because of MAN'S IGNORANT LAWS, is for me to break what I believe is one of NATURE'S LAWS, which are, to me, more important.
Don't get me wrong.....

YOUR "rights" to recover a deer end at the property line you've been told NOT to cross. While I think exercising all LEGAL facets at recovering a downed deer are commendable......I put the rights of the landowner above any "perceived" "rights" a hunter trying to recover his quarry thinks he posesses.

The rights of a landowner to admit or deny access to his lands shall not be infringed.

It's JUST a deer.

dprsdhunter 09-19-2009 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pwrsrtk350
Really?

I have no problem with trespassing (breaking the law) to recover a deer, as I owe it to that animal to do my BEST to recover it and use it as it was intended for me to use it. For me NOT to do that because of MAN'S IGNORANT LAWS, is for me to break what I believe is one of NATURE'S LAWS, which are, to me, more important.

I do not see it that way at all. The guy is just not wanting to break any law. Seems to me he does have the best interest of the sport in mind.
With GMMAT's post he has his answer.

dprsdhunter 09-19-2009 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3446929)
Don't get me wrong.....

YOUR "rights" to recover a deer end at the property line you've been told NOT to cross. While I think exercising all LEGAL facets at recovering a downed deer are commendable......I put the rights of the landowner above any "perceived" "rights" a hunter trying to recover his quarry thinks he posesses.

The rights of a landowner to admit or deny access to his lands shall not be infringed.

It's JUST a deer.

Thanks for saying that GMMAT and for the way you said it---I could not agree more

OHbowhntr 09-19-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3446929)
Don't get me wrong.....

It's JUST a deer.

Sorry to hear that, I think you're granting someone more "respect" than I'll ever believe they deserve. It's GOD's Land in my eyes, and I believe he sees it "proper" for me to put forth my BEST EFFORT to recover that animal, regardless of where someone has drawn a line on this earth. That animal that has lost it's life, deserves my best effort far more than some misundertanding, selfish, or ignorant land owner does my "respect" for their "perceived" rights.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm gonna HUNT on their land or right on the border and then PLAN to trespass, but if I kill an animal and it runs further than expected and onto someone's property, they can very much EXPECT me to come and retrieve that animal, as I'm a firm believer I owe that animal that respect and effort. If they disagree, then they can call the law, and I'll tell the LAWDOG the same. Right by MAN's LAW and by "Nature's LAW" may be 2 different things, but that's the way I am, and it ain't changing any time soon. :party0005:

MAN's LAW says it's okay to MURDER a BABY in it's mother's womb for any irrational reason she may think up as an excuse as well, but I'll never agree with that one either!!!! :cry:

superstockbigblock 09-19-2009 07:16 PM

You need a law like Iowa, we can cross the boundary without a weapon to recover the animal, no permission needed.

GMMAT 09-19-2009 07:27 PM

It's GOD's Land in my eyes, and I believe he sees it "proper" for me to put forth my BEST EFFORT to recover that animal, regardless of where someone has drawn a line on this earth.

Good luck in court....with that.

That animal that has lost it's life, deserves my best effort far more than some misundertanding, selfish, or ignorant land owner does my "respect" for their "perceived" rights.

Landowners in the US don't have "perceived" rights. They have ACTUAL rights. You have whatever the law says you do......and nothing more.

When we **** on the rights of the US landowner to protect it.....we've spit on our forefathers.

So....can you also walk through my yard....and into my home....and help yourself to my fridge....if you're hungry or thirsty (if my land is posted....or I've told you to keep out)? Tell me where that strays from what you're talking about.

1shotkill1993 09-19-2009 08:01 PM

Pretty sure in Va if the deer goes off your property while your tracking, you have the authority to go ahead and keep going.

But if I was in your situation, I would go ahead and recover the deer anyways. Who cares if she bitches

OHbowhntr 09-19-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3446952)
It's GOD's Land in my eyes, and I believe he sees it "proper" for me to put forth my BEST EFFORT to recover that animal, regardless of where someone has drawn a line on this earth.

Good luck in court....with that.

That animal that has lost it's life, deserves my best effort far more than some misundertanding, selfish, or ignorant land owner does my "respect" for their "perceived" rights.

Landowners in the US don't have "perceived" rights. They have ACTUAL rights. You have whatever the law says you do......and nothing more.

When we **** on the rights of the US landowner to protect it.....we've spit on our forefathers.

So....can you also walk through my yard....and into my home....and help yourself to my fridge....if you're hungry or thirsty (if my land is posted....or I've told you to keep out)? Tell me where that strays from what you're talking about.

Jeff,
You keep respecting people more than the animals, that's fine with me, but I believe a TRUE SPORTSMAN puts forth his BEST EFFORT to recover an animal, and if that means I "violate (I laugh as I type that because of how ridiculous it sounds)" someone's "property owner rights" by retrieving that animal, then so be it.

Make your irrational arguments all you want. There's a huge difference between me coming in your house and drinking your beer and eating your food, than me going 75yds onto your property to retrieve an animal I killed. I think our forefathers would likely agree with me more than you on this one, but you may be right, after all, they WERE politicians of that time as well.

That being said, if someone kills and animal and it runs onto my property, I'll gladly allow them to pursue that animal to recover it. I've even offered up my ATV to a couple of young kids tracked a deer on my place, so don't think it's not a 2-way road, because it is.

natimage 09-19-2009 08:37 PM

Let us know how this ends up! I know she may not like it but if she is against hunting and all about animal rights I don't see how wasting a beautiful animals meat will help anything, it's already dead at this point so either it gets eaten and appreciated, or wasted and rots. But I know some people just don't understand that.

dprsdhunter 09-19-2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr (Post 3446994)
Jeff,
You keep respecting people more than the animals, that's fine with me, but I believe a TRUE SPORTSMAN puts forth his BEST EFFORT to recover an animal, and if that means I "violate (I laugh as I type that because of how ridiculous it sounds)" someone's "property owner rights" by retrieving that animal, then so be it.

Make your irrational arguments all you want. There's a huge difference between me coming in your house and drinking your beer and eating your food, than me going 75yds onto your property to retrieve an animal I killed. I think our forefathers would likely agree with me more than you on this one, but you may be right, after all, they WERE politicians of that time as well.

That being said, if someone kills and animal and it runs onto my property, I'll gladly allow them to pursue that animal to recover it. I've even offered up my ATV to a couple of young kids tracked a deer on my place, so don't think it's not a 2-way road, because it is.

YOUR "rights" to recover a deer end at the property line you've been told NOT to cross

I think the key words Jeff said were "you've been TOLD not to cross" Once you have been told-thats it you cant do it.

Unfortunetally our forefathers are not around any more.

125py 09-19-2009 08:44 PM

go get it..

hammerman 09-19-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr (Post 3446945)
I think you're granting someone more "respect" than I'll ever believe they deserve. It's GOD's Land in my eyes, and I believe he sees it "proper" for me to put forth my BEST EFFORT to recover that animal, regardless of where someone has drawn a line on this earth. That animal that has lost it's life, deserves my best effort far more than some misundertanding, selfish, or ignorant land owner does my "respect" for their "perceived" rights.

MAN's LAW says it's okay to MURDER a BABY in it's mother's womb for any irrational reason she may think up as an excuse as well, but I'll never agree with that one either!!!! :cry:

If you're going to bring God into this you might want to read Romans 13:1-7. In a nut shell it basically says that , "It is the duty of every Christian to obey the laws of the land as long as they do not conflict with the law of God." I don't know of any scriptures that support going after an animal just because you shot it.

Murdering a baby goes against scripture and just because the government says its OK doesn't mean I have to do it.

OHbowhntr 09-19-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dprsdhunter (Post 3447005)
YOUR "rights" to recover a deer end at the property line you've been told NOT to cross

I think the key words Jeff said were "you've been TOLD not to cross" Once you have been told-thats it you cant do it.

Unfortunetally our forefathers are not around any more.

I'll tend to disagree, as I believe my RIGHTS (Given by GOD, not this tyrannical govt. of this country) are to give my best effort to recover that animal, paying it the respect it deserves for the life I've taken from it.

Originally Posted by hammerman (Post 3447017)
If you're going to bring God into this you might want to read Romans 13:1-7. In a nut shell it basically says that , "It is the duty of every Christian to obey the laws of the land as long as they do not conflict with the law of God." I don't know of any scriptures that support going after an animal just because you shot it.

Murdering a baby goes against scripture and just because the government says its OK doesn't mean I have to do it.

I tend to believe GOD would expect me to recover that animal and use it's meat to feed my family, therefore I believe that "Man's Laws" in that situation DO conflict with "God's Laws."

"Arise, Kill and Eat..." I missed the part where it said don't recover your game, let it ROT, because an irrational person doesn't want you "trespassing" on their land to recover your animal. Again, I believe GOD would rather I "trespass" and recover the animal, rather than leave it to rot because of someone's "PERCEIVED RIGHT (as I believe it, because I don't believe he intended for any of us to "RULE" anything infinitely and completely here on Earth.)." And again, I'd EXPECT someone to "trespass" onto my property to retrieve their game as well, as it shows respect to that animal they've taken the life of.

dstubb 09-19-2009 10:31 PM

I'd go in....all ninja.

Good luck.

Can't believe i'm actually saying this, but i'm with GMATT on this one. I would not let this animal go to waste or become coyote food. I would get me a dim little light and crawl around on my hands and knees to recover that deer. I highly doubt that you would be arrested for walking across a persons property with a perfectly good explanation of why. It's def time to let your inner ninja shine.

vann338 09-19-2009 10:32 PM

Nothing goes to waste in the woods. But just alittle time in the hunt.If she said no is it worth your values. you have some there or you would not have ask her to start with. If you **** her off now will she still have her values to call the fireDepartment when your house is burning. ( Fact: I know a mad neighbor won't call untill she afraid your propane tank might explode and damage her house)

Rickmur 09-20-2009 12:24 AM

I did not read that, what I read was the wife would disagree if she were home or something to that effect. I don't think he was ever told not to cross the line. I'm sure it's after the fact by now but I would have gone immediately after the deer unarmed being the weather forecast was what it was. Hope it all worked out for you.
Now, just how close are you to the property line? 2 deer already have fallen on the adjacent land? I might want to move a little further inland if it were me and try to prevent this happening repeatedly You might wear out the husband's welcome as well if this keeps happening.

GMMAT 09-20-2009 03:02 AM

Rick....2 different scenarios. The part you cited was in the hypothetical.

OHBow...

Jeff,

You're laughing at something that our country was founded on. What you're saying is......as a landowner in the US...I have NO RIGHTS to keep you off my land. How much land do you own? That might make this discussion take on a more realistic tone. Let's discuss YOUR land (if you own any).

Make your irrational arguments all you want. There's a huge difference between me coming in your house and drinking your beer and eating your food, than me going 75yds onto your property to retrieve an animal I killed.

Actually.....there is NO difference. What makes this seem "irrational" (to you).....is it makes what you're advocating sound just as ludicrous.

Can they camp there....at will? Can they walk their dogs through there....at will? Can they small game hunt? Big game hunt? Can they come over there and take a dump in your yard? Why did you buy land? Why not just live and hunt on someone else's?

dprsdhunter 09-20-2009 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rickmur (Post 3447051)
I did not read that, what I read was the wife would disagree if she were home or something to that effect. I don't think he was ever told not to cross the line. I'm sure it's after the fact by now but I would have gone immediately after the deer unarmed being the weather forecast was what it was. Hope it all worked out for you.
Now, just how close are you to the property line? 2 deer already have fallen on the adjacent land? I might want to move a little further inland if it were me and try to prevent this happening repeatedly You might wear out the husband's welcome as well if this keeps happening.

Rick-- You are correct aout this situation.
I believe GMMAT made that commment in regards to tresspassing during his debate with OHbowhuntr on gods law /mans law

clos21 09-20-2009 04:38 AM

Drama, Drama, Drama.
GOD wants us to love one another and i damn sure dont see that. Blacks who dont like whites and whites who dont like blacks. Tell you what when you guys can get that right then you can start worrying about property lines.

PS I love everyone no matter what your color is.

dprsdhunter 09-20-2009 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by clos21 (Post 3447111)
Drama, Drama, Drama.
GOD wants us to love one another and i damn sure dont see that. Blacks who dont like whites and whites who dont like blacks. Tell you what when you guys can get that right then you can start worrying about property lines.

PS I love everyone no matter what your color is.

UHH --ok .
Dont know where this came from.

. He didnt say if the deer was black or white. I dont what color the deer was .

ozbowhunter 09-20-2009 06:31 AM

im with gmmat go get it

mfd1027 09-20-2009 06:37 AM

I'll be watching a little football and waiting to read the final outcome on this one. :guiness:

Dan

clos21 09-20-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by dprsdhunter (Post 3447121)
UHH --ok .
Dont know where this came from.

. He didnt say if the deer was black or white. I dont what color the deer was .

Just saying that if we are going to bring GOD into the conversation then we need to worry about the most basic of GOD's word " The Love for your fellow man" and if you cant do that then leave GOD out of a conversation about if you should get a deer or not because you have to cross someones property line. Thats all im saying....JMO

Wait: I do believe GOD gave us 10 Commandments I think I read that somewhere Oh yeah in the Bible

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

sr77 09-20-2009 09:40 AM

So whats the deal, did your find your deer?

Shane

Kid 09-20-2009 10:36 AM

Here in Illinois even a CPO cannot get you in if the landowner doesn't want it to happen. It's a tough situation, to say the least. Good Luck!

Skitterz 09-20-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by NCBloodtrailer (Post 3446775)
I just talked to the landowner within the week, he helped me look for a doe. He said to me, "good thing my wife wasn't here when you showed up", she is apparently antihunter, antihunting and anti any kind of harm to animals. I think I may go out and look, I just don't want to **** him off by upsetting his wife and in the daytime they wouldn't be able to see me from their house. I am just a little nervous about swinging a lantern around because they probably can see the light from their house.

If the Landowner dosent mind that you are on there Just go find the deer and tell him later what happened and that at the time you didnt want to ask with the wife around .

jeepinxj 09-20-2009 11:31 AM

GO IN AND GET THIS THING, people are getting all crazy quoting the bible? Its whatever you are comfortable with, if you can get in and out without disturbing your crazy neighbor and have a deer in hand then awesome. Put some pictures up if you get it, this seems to be a really popular post good luck!!!