Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do in this situation (real, just happened)? >

What to do in this situation (real, just happened)?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do in this situation (real, just happened)?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default not even close to being the same thing!

Originally Posted by MountainHunter
BMRob: You're not just trespassing. You're stealing. Those deer are on someone else's land. That makes them their property while they're on that land. You're taking their property when you harvest their deer. It's like going into a field while they're on vacation and harvesting their corn.
"ITS EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION" GO GET THE DEER!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

BMRob: You're not just trespassing. You're stealing. Those deer are on someone else's land. That makes them their property while they're on that land. You're taking their property when you harvest their deer. It's like going into a field while they're on vacation and harvesting their corn.
Don't waste your time trying to talk sense into this guy, Moutainhunter.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer don't belong to landowners. They belong to the state they reside in. It's called a "natural resource".
Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

go get the deer!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
"ITS EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION"
I have six kids and all but one have, at some point, tried that with me. While I will admit that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, I taught each of them that it is, without fail, much more painful than asking for permission.

Last edited by LittleChief; 09-21-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, it's not STEALING, it's recovering a game animal you killed because you owe that animal that respect. Deer are free-roaming animals, CORN is a PLANTED RESOURCES intentionally placed there by the land-owner the deer wasn't. Sorry, but that's about as ignorant an argument as I've seen on it!!!! So because a bird lands on one of my trees it's now my property??? Lifeflight helicoptor lands on the flat part in my front yard because there's and accident and it belongs to me now??? A kid hit's a ball over a fence, and it now belongs to the neighbor???? Not quite.....common courtesy, a kid hits a ball into my yard he's free to retrieve it, a hunter shoots an animal that runs onto my land, likewise within reason, he's free to retrieve it. I will say that if the deer ran onto my land with 30minutes of light left, he'd better sit tight until after shooting hours, if I'm hunting, but otherwise, I would EXPECT that hunter to make every "reasonable" effort to recover his game, as I would likewise do, but at the same time I grant the landowner the same courtesy I'd expect by not destroying anything on their property and not do anything but recovering my game.

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Doug,

What's wrong with asking the land owner 1st Instead of doing what you want? Do you actually believe that every person has a right to go and retrieve their deer no matter the type of person they are? I'll say this that there are a few yahoo's In my section where I hunt on my dads land that I can gaurantee you that If they went on to this land without our knowing about It they'd be shooting whatever they see fit. There's reasons for laws, not everyone's a saint in the woods. No one goes on my dads land without one of us with, no one!!! The bad unethical hunters ruin It for everyone.
Steve,
I hear what you're saying, and agree in some ways, but I think in this specific situation, asking a woman who you've been told is an anti-hunter, rather than just jumping a fence and getting an animal she'll NEVER KNOW was ever there just makes more sense. I don't see it as any "invasion of privacy" or "trampling of a landowner's rights" at all, because I'd be open to someone LEGITIMATELY coming on my land if they killed an animal that ran onto my property. I see it as a common courtesy I suppose, but that's just the way some of us "nice" rednecks are around here, too, I guess. But at the same time, be it a doe or a WR NT Buck, I'm gonna go get it, because I believe I OWE that animal that effort, but I'm also not gonna go running around on someone's property scoping out their house and what's in their barn I could potentially come back after, etc, like there are some people out there who would do. I don't use an ATV to recover deer, I DRAG a deer out of everywhere I hunt except my in-laws, because it's easy enough to get one in at their place. I understand the issue with unethical people trespassing all over and shooting up everything they can, I've seen it as well, but I believe often times what they don't know will certainly never hurt them in this such case, and I'm not the type of guy who's going to mess with anything on their land, I'm just going in, getting the deer I killed, and getting out. Been there, done that a couple times, and I was even nice enough to bring it back before I gutted it, so they didn't have a mess along one of their trails........

Fortunately, I only hunt ONE place where it would EVER be an issue, and that OLD 80-something year old woman would never know I was ever there, and in all honesty, she really don't need to know, I ain't doing anything but recovering a deer that deserves that respect, and I believe ALL states should allow a hunter a "REASONABLE RIGHT TO TRESPASS" as long as he is "LEGITIMATELY" tracking an animal.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

OHBowhunter, you misread my post. I actually more or less agreed with your approach, with the add-on that I would later tell the landowner what I did (sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than permission approach). I was getting on BMRob because he was actually hunting on someone else's land without their permission and then hiding from them when they came onto their land. THAT is very different than the situation that started this thread. It is also different from someone landing a helicopter on your land or driving a car into your driveway or wearing clothes when walking on your land. Those were all personal belongings that were already the other person's property before they entered your property.

GMMAT makes an interesting point. Deer are a natural resource. So is a tree. Can someone go onto your land and start cutting timber for building material, just because it is a natural resource? Deer generally move from property to property. While they are on your land, they are, for all practical purposes, your property to do with what you please (within the limits of the game laws, etc.). Once they leave your property, you generally lose your claim to them, just like water flowing through your property (which is also often regulated as to what you can and cannot do with it).

That said, a deer spoiling in the woods because you didn't retrieve it is a sad waste that does no one any real good. Its a negative value change. To prevent this, I would retrieve the deer, talk to the landowner afterwards and offer him some meat if he seemed upset (or maybe even if he didn't) to compensate him for any sense of loss of privacy or for fewer rotting carcasses to feed the coyotes on his land, etc.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Spike

Now that this post went crazy ways!!!! Where is the poster (MCBloodTrailer)???? The suspense is killing me.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike

Are you all serious? Contact the land owner. (wife or husband) tell them that the deer went onto THEIR property and needs retrieved. If they don't give you permission, contact the local game warden. He knows the law and would know what to do. If you simply trespass and get caught who's to say you didn't shoot it on THEIR property.?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

Has the guy retrieved his deer has he talked to the old lady any updates???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.