Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do in this situation (real, just happened)? >

What to do in this situation (real, just happened)?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do in this situation (real, just happened)?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok - I get it.
Only the laws you agree with are real "laws".
God gives you a pass on those that inconvenience you.
Its not you who decides - the voice in your head makes the decision for you.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Ok - I get it.
Only the laws you agree with are real "laws".
God gives you a pass on those that inconvenience you.
Its not you who decides - the voice in your head makes the decision for you.
No Steve, I just respect the animal more than some irrational person's opinion.

Tell me you don't speed do you??? There are laws that make sense and laws that don't. In OHIO it is illegal to eat Corn Flakes on Sundays, .......in Arkansas, A man may beat his wife as long as it is no more than ONCE a month..... Some laws make sense, some do not. In some states you DO NOT need permission to retrieve an animal, in others you do. I personally believe that permission to retrieve the animal shouldn't be needed, and would practice that, not only as a LANDOWNER, but also as a hunter.

I've recovered a couple animals from property I never obtained permission to be on, the land-owners were no worse for wear for my having walked 50-100yds on their property to recover an animal, and my conscience was completely clean and clear doing it.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of RESPECT FOR OUR QUARRY to me, and I respect the animals more than the irrational people's wants/opinions/whatever. I'm not going to their house and drinking their beer, or doing anything that would cause any harm or damage or otherwise undue stress on them, therefore I don't see where it makes much difference.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Well????? did you get the deer????
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

As usual, I find myself in the middle between two extremes. It seems to me what has to be weighed here is the law of the land and personal ethics. It’s not black and white to me.

If I were in the situation that the original post described, I would have talked with the landowner (husband) the first time this happened and asked him what I should do if it happens again. But, given the current situation, I would recover the deer, talk with the husband the first time I had a chance, and tell him what happened, and offer him a deer ham or something, if he seemed perturbed. It’s his and his wife’s land, and I think he has a right to know what people do on his land. I do have a question about why this has happened twice...is this a small parcel of land you hunt? If so, you might want to talk to the (husband) landowners in neighboring parcels about recovering your deer. I don’t hunt my sister’s land, even though there is a very nice 8 point buck that moves in daylight there, because it’s too small a parcel and the deer would probably end up expiring in someone’s front yard and I doubt their neighbors would like that.

Sometimes, doing the right thing means bearing the full consequences, including the legal consequences, of your actions. I believe in respecting property rights. Most people who own property either earned the money to pay for the land or else inherited it from their parents, who worked hard to earn the money to buy the land and pass it on to their children.

In this case, it seems that one of the property owners is OK with your retrieving your deer from his property, as long as his wife doesn’t find out. I would just talk with him to make sure that understanding is correct, as I described above. That said, I am not super anal about it, as long as there are no significant privacy rights being violated (walking along one side of a creek in the woods on a 100 acre parcel, even though the property sometimes crosses the creek a few feet, instead of walking through impenetrable underbrush, etc.) and no damage being done to the property.

BMRob: I just don’t know what to say. How old are you? 15? If you’re much older than that, then I find your lack of respect for property and other people disturbing.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

OH....

I'm not so worried about it, either (someone retrieving a deer on my property). But.....some people ARE THAT PRIVATE. And, the laws of our land support THEM.

So....if a landowner chooses not to allow trespassers......he's a "whiner"?

Interesting.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doug,

What's wrong with asking the land owner 1st Instead of doing what you want? Do you actually believe that every person has a right to go and retrieve their deer no matter the type of person they are? I'll say this that there are a few yahoo's In my section where I hunt on my dads land that I can gaurantee you that If they went on to this land without our knowing about It they'd be shooting whatever they see fit. There's reasons for laws, not everyone's a saint in the woods. No one goes on my dads land without one of us with, no one!!! The bad unethical hunters ruin It for everyone.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be over that fence faster than a Rat up a drainpipe , chuck the deer over my shoulders and run Forrest ruuuuunnnn

Or you could do the right thing and just ask .

Last edited by Bailsuk; 09-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

Why is it disturbing?I am an american americans have been tresspassing all the way back to columbus why should it be any differnt now?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckmasterRob
Why is it disturbing?I am an american americans have been tresspassing all the way back to columbus why should it be any differnt now?
BMRob: You're not just trespassing. You're stealing. Those deer are on someone else's land. That makes them their property while they're on that land. You're taking their property when you harvest their deer. It's like going into a field while they're on vacation and harvesting their corn.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got to get your deer bro. Its worse to not harvest the animal... or your sitting to close on property lines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.