Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow hunting in a ground blind >

Bow hunting in a ground blind

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunting in a ground blind

Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default Bow hunting in a ground blind

Anyone bow hunt out of a ground blind im talking the ones like a tent I have the turret blind set up in some standing oaks for the november gun season but I would like to shoot a few during the archery season only problem is I havent tried shooting a bow out of it I usualy use a climber but if I could get by with sitting up in the blind it sure would beat carrying that dang climber up the hill.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckmasterRob
Anyone bow hunt out of a ground blind im talking the ones like a tent I have the turret blind set up in some standing oaks for the november gun season but I would like to shoot a few during the archery season only problem is I havent tried shooting a bow out of it I usualy use a climber but if I could get by with sitting up in the blind it sure would beat carrying that dang climber up the hill.
A blind CAN be just as effective as a stand if you do it right. Obviously, the first thing you need to do is have it in a spot you can get a close shot on deer. The next thing is to make sure it's in a spot where you won't get busted. A place that's not obvious, or right in the middle of a well-traveled trail, etc. Between 20-25 yards away from where you intend to make the shot is perfect. Next brush it in well so it "sinks" into the native landscape. Finally, don't have all the windows open but rather a few at the most, just what you need to see the deer coming and to make a shot. One of the easiest ways to get busted is if you have a window open in front of you and behind you and the deer silhouttes you. In addition, it will help to wear all black if the interior of your blind is black or at least try to match the camo of the exterior of the blind.

One other pointer, no mechanical, no matter what the manufacturer says, will shoot well through the mesh windows. So if you're using mechanicals, don't take the mesh windows down completely, but rather trim a narrow strip, say 3-4 inches through the mesh carefully using a razor blade. This will minimize the black hole effect but leave a good opening to shoot out of. If you are using fixed heads, use the mesh, it helps immensely.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=minnesotadeer;3446560]One other pointer, no mechanical, no matter what the manufacturer says, will shoot well through the mesh windows. quote]

Very important tip, nothing like sitting for hours or kneeling on the ground in a blind waiting for the moment the deer you are after gives you that broadside shot and the mechanical punches through the mesh and sticks in the ground or worse yet wounds the deer. Everything else the above guy wrote I also agree with. Some of my most exciting hunts were out of ground blinds, I have never been as close to deer as in a blind.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Spike

I'm thinking about trying a blind myself. What type of scent control is necessary? Spray the blind down etc.,? It's flat where i am so i can't get a blind set up in any high spot to see better will that matter?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Spike

I appreciate the tips and I do use mechanical heads but dont have a problem switching to a fixed blade.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

Using a Mesh Window is very good for concealment....but, I found I had to replace my mesh because the mfg. had over-laid the mesh with leafy patterns, which made it very difficult to see the animal in-line with my pin sight. Best to have just plain old mesh with NO pattern to block an otherwise well placed shot. Hope this helps.
One other thing: Do consider using a folding chair with a back support. I bought a metal chair with a cushioned seat for .50 cents. The chair is metal, and it really takes the fatigue out of sitting for long periods ..... a swivel chair with back would be even better....I just have not found one at a garage sale......yet. I really dont like shooting thru the mesh....and I wish someone WITH EXPERIENCE could tell me that using the mesh is not all that necessary.....anyone have an experienced opinion on this....I would greatly like to hear from you.......thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Ground blinds are great. I've shot turkey and deer from them. If you are going to leave all the side and back window closed, I'd recommend wearing black or dark clothing. I've always worn camo and it seems the deer always are a little cautious or are looking at the blind funny. I've started doing something and it seems to be working. I open the window behind me also. I always set the blind up near bushes and trees and it seems like the deer don't notice as much with the back window open. I think the between the camo and it not being as dark inside the deer don't see as much that looks odd. I've taken 3 does since doing this and none of them seemed to see me or act like something didn't look right. I have the shoot thru mesh but I usually am using mechanicals so I like to leave the mesh off and I think that tends to make a black hole with the other windows closed. It also will show movement more if you're wearing camo in the dark tent. Try it. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

I do not use the mesh as I think it is harder to see through. I have shot both deer and turkey out of the blind.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

The trick without mesh is to leave the windows DOWN. Then the animals get used to there being "eyes" in the blind.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Spike

So you guys are saying you've had more success with ever windows open when dressed in camo so that they deer can see straight through the blind and your mixed in with the hardwoods backdrop??

If that's the case then why does every manufacturer say to wear solid black and leave behind you closed up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.