Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Season Ahead

Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

[quote][ I saw three bucks together last night, spike, 4, and 5 or 7 points. I have yet to see a shooter. Man, how do I get the motivation to get out there when the possibility of taking a shoot isn't there./QUOTE]

niehenke- I read the above statement when you first posted this thread on Sept. 19th and you sounded like your season was over and yeah it reached me. I thought that you were a new hunter and that maybe the people that started you hunting may have brought you along thinking that the only way to enjoy this sport was to kill a trophy. I was trying to make a point that far too often we lose new people that are introduced to our great way of life because too many folks push the trophy deer philosophy on them before their first hunt. IMHO- New hunters and kids esp. need success or they lose interest mighty quick. We're up against big odds to hold their interest competing against the internet, video games,etc. I realize now that you've been at it for a while and I'm sorry if I offended you. May I ask when the season did start where you hunt?

Dan

Last edited by mfd1027; 09-23-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by niehenke
Yep, 28 years. Yes, I do place a ton of emphasis on taking a mature deer. I shoot all year, I spend a ton of time in the woods studying their paterns and predict their movements. I spend time on this site learning new techniques. I enjoy deer meat, but I love playing out the challenge that I set for myself each year. Guilty as charged, somebody slap the cuffs on a dedicated sportsman.
I hope that things work out for you. I might set my sights a little higher in the future, but for right now I'm still after my first buck with a bow. I'm telling you, the does where I hunt are terrified, but the bucks don't know I exist.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LittleChief
\ but the bucks don't know I exist.
haha, that's a great thing my man!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
On the same note, enjoy your time in the woods. Even if you only see small bucks or just does, its still a good time. Quite honestly, I dont measure my success by the deer I bring home. I measure success each trip I go out. If I see wildlife, and I see deer while I am in the woods, then my hunt was a success. Getting a big ol' buck is just extra.
Exactly - some of my favorite days in the woods had nothing to do with even seeing a deer. Like the time I watched a groundhog climb up a tree, ok it was a half fallen tree but cool anyway.

Get out there and enjoy the sights!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I am not offended. I am near Lansing in MI. I have been in MI for 10 years and I have seen a shooter before the season every year except this year. Last winter was terrible for the deer around here: found a dead deer in a snare, ~5 dead from harsh winter, one injured and the yotes got it, one unknown, several car crash deaths and worst of all, I think that I have a neighbor filling his freezer at night. The good news is that I have a chance to hunt back home, PA for several weeks. PA has a point restriction. Last year I was chasing a 140 and 150 class running together. Never did get a chance but what I blast trying. They kept together in a apple orchard near to a clover feild. They did not go far each day. No trees to get in and when I would try to enter, they would just wrap right around me and disappear.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Great news!!! I saw a 2 brothers ~2.5 year old 8-10pts and 1 maybe 3.5 based on the thick rack. I did not get a great look at the potential 3.5 year old, but I am stoked. That is all that I wanted for x-mas. Season started this week but I could not get out there. Better believe it that I will be out there early. Tough decision, go for the two 2.5 with 15 other deer or go for the potential 3.5 with maybe 1 other. I think I will pick the pontential 3.5. Man does it feel good.