Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Season Ahead

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Season Ahead

Well, last year I wrote a thread on a mistake that I made by taking a deer that I should have let go for this year. This year I am paying the price. Nobody in my area practices deer management (including me last yr) and you can tell. I saw three bucks together last night, spike, 4, and 5 or 7 points. I have yet to see a shooter. Man, how do I get the motivation to get out there when the possibility of taking a shoot isn't there. Looks like I will be hunting in PA a lot this year. I wish MI would do some sort of deer mgt. How is your season looking?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot some does this year and dont worry about the bucks
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Wow!! This is really a sad post. It's a shame that we put so much emphasis on killing a trophy that we can't enjoy seeing three bucks and probably a bunch of does in one afternoon of hunting. May I ask how long you've been hunting?

Dan
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by niehenke
Well, last year I wrote a thread on a mistake that I made by taking a deer that I should have let go for this year. This year I am paying the price. Nobody in my area practices deer management (including me last yr) and you can tell. I saw three bucks together last night, spike, 4, and 5 or 7 points. I have yet to see a shooter. Man, how do I get the motivation to get out there when the possibility of taking a shoot isn't there. Looks like I will be hunting in PA a lot this year. I wish MI would do some sort of deer mgt. How is your season looking?

Give it time, buck sightings my way have been bit slow, bit I also know what my area holds, be patient and enjoy your time in the woods, and like the above poster stated, take some does!

Shane
Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

As I'm looking to take my first this year, I'd have taken any you described. (The spike is iffy, as they must be 5" in my area) To me, if it's legal I'm going to try my best to put it down. However, I may feel different later on.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Wow!! This is really a sad post. It's a shame that we put so much emphasis on killing a trophy that we can't enjoy seeing three bucks and probably a bunch of does in one afternoon of hunting. May I ask how long you've been hunting?

Dan
Yep, 28 years. Yes, I do place a ton of emphasis on taking a mature deer. I shoot all year, I spend a ton of time in the woods studying their paterns and predict their movements. I spend time on this site learning new techniques. I enjoy deer meat, but I love playing out the challenge that I set for myself each year. Guilty as charged, somebody slap the cuffs on a dedicated sportsman.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by niehenke
Yep, 28 years. Yes, I do place a ton of emphasis on taking a mature deer. I shoot all year, I spend a ton of time in the woods studying their paterns and predict their movements. I spend time on this site learning new techniques. I enjoy deer meat, but I love playing out the challenge that I set for myself each year. Guilty as charged, somebody slap the cuffs on a dedicated sportsman.
I like that response. I think people get scolded too often for being "trophy" hunters. That term has become taboo on this site. Get the hell off of people's backs about what deer they choose to shoot. We should spend less time ripping down people who no matter what deer they aim for are dedicated hunters and outdoorsmen and more time recruiting new blood to this great sport that is struggling and that we love so much.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with what your saying niehenke, we all want mature deer be it for antler size, genetic transfer, or just the challenge of taking an old brute. i also am in a situation where none of my neighbors practice management. i, as im sure you really do as well, enjoy seeing anything while im in the woods. and hoping that a mature deer will make an appearance is always a nice thought. just hoping they will get to maturity if you let the deer walk though, is out of your hands in this situation it seems. hunt what makes you happy. if letting young bucks walk with hopes that youll see them again makes you happy do it. if taking a spike or young buck fills you with excitement and keeps you hunting for whatever reason, thats awesome as well. good luck in what your after. im shootin what makes me happy this year, and that will be a few does at the very least!!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the early part of the season I tend to be picky about what bucks or even does I might take a shot at. But as the season goes by depending on what I have seen or not seen, well if it's brown it's down. I think of myself as a meat hunter first. Don't get me wrong, I would love to take a nice buck.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see whats wrong with being a picky hunter. I, too, hold off on smaller bucks even if they are legal. If it comes right down to crunch time, and a buck that may have been "iffy" to pass early in the season might get an arrow sent his way, but I dont see why thats a problem. I like to let the little guys go and watch them grow. If I need meat, I'll take a doe, otherwise i'm trying to take a mature buck. I usually go out with the intent to take a particular deer or multiple particular deer so if I wait until a certain guy shows I dont see how that is any more unsportsmanlike than any other method.

Some like to shoot trophies.. some like to shoot anything. Who is to say whats wrong or right? Besides, who cares? He can do his thing and another guy can do his thing.

On the same note, enjoy your time in the woods. Even if you only see small bucks or just does, its still a good time. Quite honestly, I dont measure my success by the deer I bring home. I measure success each trip I go out. If I see wildlife, and I see deer while I am in the woods, then my hunt was a success. Getting a big ol' buck is just extra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.