HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Blind grunting? Good or bad? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/304093-blind-grunting-good-bad.html)

SD_Gobbler 09-18-2009 08:14 AM

Blind grunting? Good or bad?

Just curious what thoughts there were on grunting blindly in the stand? Is it a good idea or should I only grunt when a buck is in sight? Best of luck to everyone this upcoming season!

fingerz42 09-18-2009 08:52 AM

I do it.. I've got a ton of responses last year from it.. from small 4 points to a nice 7 point.. I've even had them leave, grunt again, and back they come...

If its dead, I'll blind grunt.. as well as blind rattle, etc...

I'd wait until mid october to start the rattling/grunting though..

Hunt4Life23 09-18-2009 01:51 PM

I like to grunt blindly as well. I wont do it yet this time of the year but middle to end of october i will if im not seeing much and also when i rattle I grunt along with that. Good luck to you

3tail 09-18-2009 02:32 PM

I blind grunt also and have had good luck with it but remeber that at that point you become the hunted not the hunter because they are looking for what they think is another deer.

mauser06 09-18-2009 02:37 PM

i wont grunt when i can see one...i'll wait till hes about out of sight before i THINK about it...same thing with turkeys...if i can see them, i aint callin!

i also bling grunt and rattle when the seeking and chasing starts heating up...ive seen decent success with it...had a couple charge in like you see on TV...each year its getting better as our herd is balancing out and the rutt is getting a little more intense...

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-18-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mauser06 (Post 3445801)
i wont grunt when i can see one...i'll wait till hes about out of sight before i THINK about it...same thing with turkeys...if i can see them, i aint callin!

i also bling grunt and rattle when the seeking and chasing starts heating up...ive seen decent success with it...had a couple charge in like you see on TV...each year its getting better as our herd is balancing out and the rutt is getting a little more intense...

I'm exactly the opposite. After 20 years of calling whitetails I usually ONLY call when I do see them and only when I know they are not coming on their own. This way I can watch their reaction and KNOW if they heard me and what they may do. Last years Halloween buck came by at 75 yards, the first grunt he never heard or at least didn't react to it. If I couldn't see him, I wouldn't have known to up the call, be a little more aggressive. The second grunt stopped him in his tracks. The next one reeled him in to 8 yards for the shot.

Blind calling can produce but I wonder how many circle down wind and bust you before you ever even know it. I prefer not to do blind calling (most of the time) and understand why some do and produce with it.

btomlin 09-19-2009 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer (Post 3445813)
I'm exactly the opposite. After 20 years of calling whitetails I usually ONLY call when I do see them and only when I know they are not coming on their own. This way I can watch their reaction and KNOW if they heard me and what they may do. Last years Halloween buck came by at 75 yards, the first grunt he never heard or at least didn't react to it. If I couldn't see him, I wouldn't have known to up the call, be a little more aggressive. The second grunt stopped him in his tracks. The next one reeled him in to 8 yards for the shot.

Blind calling can produce but I wonder how many circle down wind and bust you before you ever even know it. I prefer not to do blind calling (most of the time) and understand why some do and produce with it.

+1 for the same reasons.

bigtim6656 09-19-2009 05:28 AM

I was just wondering this my self. I did it last year but i saw deer twice. Worst season yet. Well for see deer when hunting. Besides that it was the best. I have little confidence in my calling i rattle ok. But my sounds do not sound like the calls on the hunting shows. I have switched calls every year or mid season. SO who knows where see this year.

mfd1027 09-19-2009 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer

Couldn't have said it better.

Dan