Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ThermaCELL

Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default ThermaCELL

What is your take on this insect repellent? I used it twice so far and seen no deer. It says it is undetectable to animals. But I can sure smell it.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used mine from Texas to Canada. From whitetail to audad to bear. Saw 22 bears in 2 days in Canada. Is it foolproof? No. Have I seen a deer react to smelling it, again no. But that doesn't men they don't. But I don't hunt without it til the frost kills the skeeters.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

10-4

Are there different pads you can put in there? Or are they all the same?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are different pads. I have never tried anything but the skeeter repellent.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang, do we need to make a sticky on Thermacell???
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Undetectable? Not a chance, if you smell it, they smell it. If they really thought that was true, why would they market a dirt scentedone? That being said, its not a smell that disturbs them that I can tell.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why do people worry about if the deer can smell a thermacell?

Remember that the faint scent of the thermacell is being blown to exactly the same place that your human scent is being blown to.

If they can smell the thermacell then they can dang sure smell you.

BTW, I don't go hunting with out one.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

My concern is not necessarily the smell as you can get earth scent mats. I have not purchased one yet as it seems to me that it could get expensive to run it for a full day on the stand. Aprox $25 for the unit and $7 for 12 hrs fuel and three 4-hr mats. I am retired and hunt several days per week and haven't purchased on for this reason alone.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used it last year love it always have it with me even in the dead of winter. Though i saw deer twice when hunting. SO who knows. I doubt it was the thermacell. But i am sure they properly smell it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Just man up and hunt without it!! Im with Trex on this,I can't afford the fuel or the replacement pads,i hunt way to much to waste money on that,just wear long sleeve shirts, and a face mask and some mesh gloves and just suck it up! Same for you people who use all that scent eliminateing crap and scent blocker,scent joker is more like it! LMAO,what a joke! I don't use that crap and I kill deer just fine every year,its all a hype! If your up a tree,99% of the time your scent is being blown over the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.