Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

heavy vs light.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default heavy vs light.

I need your opinions. I have 24 arrows. One dozen are 9.9 gr inch arrows That shoot much slower than the other dozen. The other dozen are arrows that weigh 7.3 gpi. I have no chronograph, but my bow is set a 56 lbs, and is not very fast compared to other bows. Ibo is 296-304 fps. Which arrows would you hunt deer with. I've been using the 7.3 gpi, both shoot equally well. Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

The "general" rule of thumb is 6gr per pound of draw weight......I am sure you have heard bow nuts say you can dry fired a bow if using arrows without enough mass to absorb the energy....I dont think I would go any lower than around 350ish finished arrow...I'm sure others have opinions..I know what works for me....if you want some speed the 7ish grain arrows are better...but you should check its spine too though...my very first set up...I used to shoot xx78 super slams at 33 3/8"...... the 100 gr tipped finished arrow was 596gr....basically a telephone pole...blew through deer like a truck but chrono was 230 FPO....s-l-o-w..pins were F---A---R apart.....went with an overdraw later in life to shorten arrows and get lil bit of speed...plus my arrows were so long before overdraw it was a beyotch still hunting with bow...dang broad head dragging in grass/bushes..anyway--speed is nice cuz it gives you some pin advantages, flatter shooting...less forgiving though....BUT in MPO...a 6-8 gr per lb matched wall thickness/spine arrow with a razor sharp broad head that GROUPS consistently and keeps bow quite is most important....can’t kill what you can’t hit.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to agree that it is better to be heavy than to be to light. Our set up is almost the same. I am shooting 58# with a 28 inch draw and arrows that are 9.9 gr. per inch. IMO the arrow gets there pretty darn quick. If my basic math is correct, the difference between 275 fps and 300 fps is .04 seconds. Someone can correct me if I am wrong...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Spike

This year i swiched to the new easton flatline arrows, they are 6.5 grains per inch, my bow is 60#..... 28 1/2" draw and i'm only shooting 294 fps, last year i shot epics they were 8.6 gpi with the same set up i shot 260....the lighter arrows give you more speed but they are not as strong...i've broke two already. I like shooting lighter better because i think they shoot smoother. I say use what you can hit with consistantly. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO I believe medium weight arrows are the Best choice for most guys that hunt medium size game (Whitetail) If you stay in the range of 6 to 7 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight you will be good to go as long as you get everything else right, spine, foc, etc.

Dan
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
IMHO I believe medium weight arrows are the Best choice for most guys that hunt medium size game (Whitetail) If you stay in the range of 6 to 7 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight you will be good to go as long as you get everything else right, spine, foc, etc.

Dan
I agree with Dan. AND just to be clear....that weight is TOTAL finished arrow weight including your tip, not just the shaft weight. When in doubt, err on the heavier side for hunting. Most bows today are plenty fast...you need to make sure you get good penetration too.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

I like a light arrow, faster, less drop. and my Bow is quiet shooting light arrows. To each their own.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the opinions guys. I feel i might be better of with the 9.9 gpi. Im still debating i suppose. Both are spined right and both shoot equally well. My arrows are also terminators. I havent had a pass through yet, but of cousre i was using a rage. My bow cannot be called fast with eithier arrow. Makes me mad i can only get 56 lbs out of it, I bought a 50-60 to shoot 60lbs. Any more opinions would be appreciated. I think the terminators are better than the beman bowhunters as far as durability. I group well with both so i guess its just preference.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, I'm going heavier every time. Your bow will shoot them plenty fast to get a kill. You may want to alter your broadhead choice to a more slow-firendly head than a Rage, perhaps a cut-on-contact fixed blade, or just any fixed head for that matter.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Im shooting 100 grain thunderheads now. I wanna a pass through this time,im sure thunderheads arent the best compared to cut on contact but im pretty sure my bow would put one all the way through a deer. If i put it in the right spot of course. Seems to me most would rather go heavy than light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.