Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Good Idea to Eat Jerkey in Stand? >

Good Idea to Eat Jerkey in Stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Idea to Eat Jerkey in Stand?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Good Idea to Eat Jerkey in Stand?

Yes or no?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

I think it's a great idea. The deer have a right to know what happens once they die.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would starve to death during deer season if I didn't! (anyone that knows me knows it would not hurt a bit for me to miss a meal here and there )
Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I would def say "no" to that idea. Indians used to stop eating meat days before a hunt, because they believed that the deer could identify them as a predators. I know that when you pop a bag of my jerky open, the smell is very very strong. I personally avoid eating or drinking anything other than water on stand. If it's an all day sit, i would pack a couple apples and that's about it.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hek ya thats fine!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it is fine. I personally would transfer it to a ziplock bag for quiter opening.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Not to highjack this thread, but it has me wondering. Do you think unless a Deer had a specific reason to associate the smell of jerky with danger they would be alarmed by it? Or do you think they have the intellectual where-with-all to know what meat smells like and associate it with predators? Do you think as hunters we tend to give them too much credit for "being smart"? They clearly learn from past experience, and their senses are above reproach, but I suspect we give them more credit than they actually deserve in the "smarts" department. Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kid
Not to highjack this thread, but it has me wondering. Do you think unless a Deer had a specific reason to associate the smell of jerky with danger they would be alarmed by it? Or do you think they have the intellectual where-with-all to know what meat smells like and associate it with predators? Do you think as hunters we tend to give them too much credit for "being smart"? They clearly learn from past experience, and their senses are above reproach, but I suspect we give them more credit than they actually deserve in the "smarts" department. Thoughts?
There is no way in ever knowing for sure, but i personally would rather give them far too much credit than under estimate them. I'm not saying that i know for certain that they can associate the smell of meat with predators, but it does raise a good point, so rather than blow it off i choose to just avoid bringing meat with me on a hunt.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kid
I agree with you and dstubb...I mean, let's be real here-their senses are amazing...but a lot of this supernatural and superstitious stuff often is brought on by us giving them too much credit. Eat the damn jerky
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want any unusual scent whatsoever coming from my stand. Of course they don't know its jerky but they do know when an unusual scent is in their bedroom. Some might spook, others might ignore it but I bet most mature bucks aren't going to tolerate much of any unusual scent. Why risk it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.