Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here they go

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Here they go

I saw a group of 6 bucks cross a peanut field yesterday evening. 2 bucks were 140 class deer which is unusual for my area. Most get whacked their first year. They stopped at the treeline and seemed to feed on acorns for awhile before heading into the woods. I went over there this morning to see what they were eating and a tree to hang a stand. There were 4 scrapes along that woods edge and they were strong with pee smell. The bucks were still in velvet. This is the earliest I have seen scraping in a long time. I hope this is a positive sign for our rut this year. This location is in the I-95 corridor of NC.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dmax2002
I saw a group of 6 bucks cross a peanut field yesterday evening. 2 bucks were 140 class deer which is unusual for my area. Most get whacked their first year. They stopped at the treeline and seemed to feed on acorns for awhile before heading into the woods. I went over there this morning to see what they were eating and a tree to hang a stand. There were 4 scrapes along that woods edge and they were strong with pee smell. The bucks were still in velvet. This is the earliest I have seen scraping in a long time. I hope this is a positive sign for our rut this year. This location is in the I-95 corridor of NC.

I have hunted the 95 corridor area just north of you (Sussex Co, VA) for years and years. You have the advantage of being able to hunt right now.... when the deer are still stupid and walking around during the day time. I've seen some terrible deer out in the beans this time of year.... I wish they'd open us up sooner.... every single state that borders VA is already open... MD opened yesterday.... makes it tough.

Go get him brother! Its a narrow window before they start breaking up and hitting acorns....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I know you want a longer season but less pressure on your herd is the reason Virginia has the edge over our deer. People in my huntclub hunt in greensville and brunswick counties once the season in Virginia opens. A shorter gun season means more bucks have a chance to live. People in the midwest figured that out years ago.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Peanut field. It just sounds funny being from the north. I want a peanut field. and a Tabacco field
Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sportsman22
Peanut field. It just sounds funny being from the north. I want a peanut field. and a Tabacco field

Haha...yeah! What the heck!?