Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Jumping the string? >

Jumping the string?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jumping the string?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I still believe it ain't how far you shoot them but how close...

I also believe that they jump the string because they are already skiddish...
I agree with that assesment.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kid
One last thought, the speed of sound is about 1125 fps, so the sound reaches them long before an arrow does!
Where did you read that. just wondering because for one the speed of sound is not constant. it travels through diferent mediums at different rates of speed.
The one i stated was only an example. and lets be honest how many people are actually shooting over 340 fps with their setup. and i am talking about an actual speed not the IBO.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The speed of sound is 343 meters per second (1,125 ft/s).

Deer may very well move on distance shots and imo,those deer are ducking at the sound of the arrow but when out at 35 yards,imo,they don't get out of the way in time as much.

At close distances,I feel they are ducking the bow/string noise and in both cases,alert deer will move more than those that are not.

I have only had 1 duck that I missed and it was at about 6-7 yards.Very alert,and looking at me.

The reason deer don't duck at distance as much as close imo is what I like to call the "boo" factor.If a deer ran at every noise they heard at 35 yards,they would be constantly running around.It is like jumping out from behind a wall and screaming boo,you will jump if you are right on them but if they do it from 40 yards away,you are just going to look at them.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
The speed of sound is 343 meters per second (1,125 ft/s).

Deer may very well move on distance shots and imo,those deer are ducking at the sound of the arrow but when out at 35 yards,imo,they don't get out of the way in time as much.

At close distances,I feel they are ducking the bow/string noise and in both cases,alert deer will move more than those that are not.

I have only had 1 duck that I missed and it was at about 6-7 yards.Very alert,and looking at me.

The reason deer don't duck at distance as much as close imo is what I like to call the "boo" factor.If a deer ran at every noise they heard at 35 yards,they would be constantly running around.It is like jumping out from behind a wall and screaming boo,you will jump if you are right on them but if they do it from 40 yards away,you are just going to look at them.
Good points, TFOX. With that deer looking at you at close range, though, I'd bet a paycheck that deer didn't duck at the sound of the shot, but rather at the movement of the shot.

I know folks say that it's possible for a deer to "jump the string", but it's hard to imagine them doing it with today's compounds. Even my 500 grain arrows trudging along at 270 fps will cover 30 yards in one third of a second. Subtract the fraction of a second it takes for the sound to reach the deer and also subtract their reaction time and it doesn't leave time for significant movement.

As to them ducking the sound of the arrow - maybe on long shots, but at 20-30 yards, I don't buy it. By the time they hear the arrow, it's practically there.

I'd bet that most of the deer that "jump the string" on todays compounds were deer that were staring right at the hunter when he touched the release. Factor in the speed of light and things change...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by WKP Todd
Being film producers, and watching lot's of shots on-camera in slow-motion, I can assure you - every whitetail drops upon the release of an arrow. The sound of your bow, arrow, and sight of the arrow are all factors in why a whitetail moves.

Last year, I killed a buck at about 12 yards. He didn't have a clue we were there, and he dropped about 2" by the time the arrow reached him. The year before, I shot the "Tall Brow 8" on video, he dropped about 6" before the arrow got to him at only 25 yards.

The problem with bowhunting, is that regardless of how good you are - a whitetail moves at any shot. You can't beat the senses of a whitetail. The farther the shot, the greater the chance you take at hitting a whitetail in a spot you weren't aiming at, because the target moved before the arrow got there.

For that reason, I try to limit my shots to 30 yards. Beyond that is a crap-shoot! Are you feeling lucky?
I disagree with a lot of what you said. Yes the deer hear sounds. The sound of unknown origin to them is a lot more scary at 20 than it is at 30 or 35 or whatever. I've found that most deer at 30 and beyond usually just turn their heads and look for the source more than drop to take off. Definitely at 40 they just turn and look usually... unless you got one hell of a noisy bow.

It all depends on the deer and the pressure they've been under. Deer dropping at the sound of the bow going off is exactly why I will take a shot at a walking deer at 25 and under any day vs. trying to stop him with a bleat or mawww or whatever. When they're walking they're making noise and not forewarned of an incoming arrow.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's see if I can explain this.

Imagine you walk into a dark room and someone is standing(you don't know is there) behind the door. They yell "BOO!"

What do you do? You jump back automatically because you didn't know they were there and got caught bit surprised.

Now imagine you walk into a large gymnasium that has the lights out. From across the gymnasium floor, on the other side, someone yells "BOO!"

How do you react now?

Will you jump?

Probably not but then again you just might depending on your mood.

Maybe you feel like you aren't supposed to be there. Maybe you are a little spooked and not sure if there is an intruder.

Under certain circumstances you just might jump, even if the prankster is at a distance, depending on you mood.

This is how it works with deer.

If they are at a distance and relaxed when you shoot, there is a good chance they won't jump.

Now, if they are keyed up or nervous about something, they will probably jump.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by davidmil
I disagree with a lot of what you said. Yes the deer hear sounds. The sound of unknown origin to them is a lot more scary at 20 than it is at 30 or 35 or whatever. I've found that most deer at 30 and beyond usually just turn their heads and look for the source more than drop to take off. Definitely at 40 they just turn and look usually... unless you got one hell of a noisy bow.

It all depends on the deer and the pressure they've been under. Deer dropping at the sound of the bow going off is exactly why I will take a shot at a walking deer at 25 and under any day vs. trying to stop him with a bleat or mawww or whatever. When they're walking they're making noise and not forewarned of an incoming arrow.

Absolutely agree and do the same,unless I have no other choice.The one I stopped had to be stopped because the next step would have been in thick cover and no more shot opportunities.

Of course I didn't aim low for the heart which in this situation should have been done and the deer ducked.I caught hair on my broadhead,that was it.Amazing an animal can do this at 6-7 yards.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter82
Where did you read that. just wondering because for one the speed of sound is not constant. it travels through diferent mediums at different rates of speed.
The one i stated was only an example. and lets be honest how many people are actually shooting over 340 fps with their setup. and i am talking about an actual speed not the IBO.
As pointed out in a previous post, I think you're confusing yards with feet. While several atmospheric conditions affect the speed of sound (temperature, barometic pressure, altitude, etc.) it doesn't vary too much from 1125fps. And lets be honest, the only medium we're concerned with here is air. Just google speed of sound.

Last edited by Kid; 09-16-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter82
The average speed of sound is 1125fps, and that is the consensus between most physicist. Just as the average rate of gravity pull is 9.8m/s^2

My huting setup will shoot 340fps Its not gonna beat the deer tho

Derek
Old 09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
I have been hunting these critters for over 25 years. I have never had one jump a string on a compound. Even out to 50+ yards. I have had two jump the string with a recurve (once in the 80s and one two seasons ago), and both were at close distances. Around 10 yards. Never had one jump the string with a longbow. I guess that is due to how quiet a long bow is.

You took the words out of my mouth Kent, neither have I and I've been bow hunting since 1966.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.