Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Anyone know any good buying tips for hunting? >

Anyone know any good buying tips for hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone know any good buying tips for hunting?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone know any good buying tips for hunting?

Just curious if anyone has any tips on finding cheaper stuff (gear, clothes, accessories).
Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sportsman's Guide has some pretty good deals.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

I always check on amazon.com, than I will google: reviews ________ and see what is offered there. Dont care much for buying on ebay but will check there as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sportsmans Guide, Craigslist and ebay for some stuff, but my favorite is to just roam the Archery/Hutning sections of stores in the off season (doesnt' help you much now though)
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I would also say, think creatively. Do I need to spend $20 on a pair of name brand camo gloves, or will a $1 pair of black work gloves do the job? Isn't wiping mud or dirt on your face cheaper than camo paint or a face mask, not to mention a cover scent and easier to get off and/or less obstructive?

Also, you do get what you pay for in terms of the quality of clothing, but think about how tough your hunting clothes must be for your particular set-ups. If its an easy trek in to your spot, you can probably get away with cheaper clothes that won't have to take such a beating as if you were in the back country. You can often get top notch camo patterns on cheaper clothing through the major retailers. Again, you're getting what you pay for and you have to be more careful with them in terms of wearing and washing.

My final tip would be stop using your check card or checks for purchases and start using your hunting chain store credit card that gives you points toward free merchandise - IF and I mean IF, the discipline is there to pay it off in full every month. That takes some planning but you can earn a lot of free stuff.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I lack discipline when it comes to credit. lol
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ashamed to admit it but my layaway program consists of taking an item and stuffing it some where so that when it goes on sale I'm on it like...

Shop early, shop often.