Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
An old family secret...think Im gonna try >

An old family secret...think Im gonna try

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An old family secret...think Im gonna try

Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoyt_Viper
I dont consider it baiting, anymore than the 2 acres of clover, beets, turnips and corn growing on my lease. I dont plan on hunting over the persimmon bombs, just dumping them along the way back into my stands. I will put some on the main trails. More of a desert than anything. I doubt I would risk the baiting game over some ground up persimmon. Maybe my acorn boot spray is about as close as I will come to baiting!
The game warden might
Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would be baiting in PA and a huge NO NO.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
That would be baiting in PA and a huge NO NO.
Same in MD on public land.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoyt_Viper
I did check in, thats me holding up the 7 pointer I hit with the Chevy last month....yummy straps and loins....still have 60 pounds of sausage and burgers and havent even drawn my bow on a deer! Is there something else I need to do?

You signed up for both gun and bow contests.
You have'nt checked in for the BOW contest yet, here's a link.
And BTW, that would definitely qualify as BAITING.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009...17-thread.html
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

The persimmons are just getting ripe. our season starts October 4th. I believe I can get hese persimmon treats out in plenty of time before season starts. Just give them a treat for following certain trails. Doubt very serious they will ever expect them to be there in 3 weeks after they are eaten, so I dont see that as baiting...however, it may be. I will contact my buddy the warden and see what he says. He has given me the approval of my plots as long as my stand isnt sitting on top of the plots. He said ambush them on the way, but dont pick them off while eating.

I play fair, and play hard doing so. The persimmon bombs were a tradition passed by my uncle hunting mountainous areas, and basically left them along the way to his stand.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

hoyt_viper, I'd be cautious on doing this if I were you. You know how VA is with baiting regulations. I'd be particurally wary on Nat'l Forest land. I'd give the VDGIF a call before I went and did this. Altho I'd be in agreement that it could be an 'attractant' that may be a judgement call on a warden's part, and I wouldn't want to push that button. The season actuall opens on the 3rd, the first Saturday in October...
Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Yep based on your state regs, looks like an old family secret is out.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt over my persimmon grove every year. now i dont add vanilla or anything because the scent is strong enough in my opinion when they start to ripen up.

and as long as your not hunting directly over them im not sure it can be considered baiting.
But like ya said give your buddy a call and check it out.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mohunter82
I hunt over my persimmon grove every year. now i dont add vanilla or anything because the scent is strong enough in my opinion when they start to ripen up.

and as long as your not hunting directly over them im not sure it can be considered baiting.
But like ya said give your buddy a call and check it out.
In Minnesota, you can't even hunt a property with a birdfeeder on it now or its considered baiting according to the law (which is why our's came down already), so I'd check. BTW, that's because an old loophole in the law meant to appease bird watchers said birdfeeders 6 feet above the ground were okay. But apparently to many goofballs decided to use that to their advantage and placed them out in the woods by their stands to watch the birds while hunting.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Hoyt_Viper;3441163] I will contact my buddy the warden and see what he says. He has given me the approval of my plots as long as my stand isnt sitting on top of the plots. He said ambush them on the way, but dont pick them off while eating.

quote]

Really?? As far as I know, you can hunt over a food plot all day long, and shoot them with a mouth full of clover.
What you can't do, is dump anything on the ground (like ground up fruit) for the deer to eat.