Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
An old family secret...think Im gonna try >

An old family secret...think Im gonna try

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An old family secret...think Im gonna try

Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default An old family secret...think Im gonna try

My uncle has been hunting the Washington National forest for decades. I bet there arent alot of persimmon trees around in those parts, but he told me when he hunts in range of ag fields or rural homes and estates that usually have a few apple, pear, persimmon, etc. trees which allows for his oportunity to try a little trick.

Since I have an abundance of persimmons on my propoerty, and they are just coming into the edible stage (nice and pink and squooshy, I have collected about two bucket fulls. I have put them in a grinder with vanila added. Once almost in a liquid form, I freeze them in sandwich bags. On the day (morning of the hunt) I will dump them out of the bag, still frozen and place along known trails, prefereably in sight of a stand to at least get them to stop and check them out.

I did this last year, and set them out at night so they would be thawed and giving a nice sweet aroma near the pile. in most cases they were gone before I got there and set up, this time Im gonna set them along the trails as Im going in and climbing my stand.

Anyone ever heard of this, and has anyone ever had any luck with them. I sure choose these over "buck Bombs", as it will more or less slow them down to take a smell or a meal while I set my pin on the shoulder.

My Uncle has killed two that he can point at the "persimmon bomb", so if it works I will pass it on. You will need the persimmons though. I also believe it will take their senses away from scent control to think about desert from eating all night when they come upon them.

I know you think Im nuts, but something sure ate mine last year before I could get into the woods. Could of been raccoons, or other critters, but I know deer have a soft side for persimmons, especially with the vanilla mixed in with it.

Patentable?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds interesting, I am guessing around here it would bring in more bear then it would deer, but hey give it a whirl and see what happens!! I dont know if I would try it out at any "prime" spots, but if you are ina hit or miss type of spot, what could it hurt?

Deer are curious, but i also think that if they smell something that doesnt completely belong, it may steer them away??

Keep us updated when you try it out!! Gd Luck!!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

We use persimons, corn meal, molasses, grape jelly, and a TBSP of anise extract. Smash the persimons to a mush and mix all of it together in a pot and bring to a soft boil then turn off the heat and when its still warm (not hot) put in babyfood jars. We use this for coon bait on our trap lines but I guarantee you deer love it because we have a ton of sets w/out bait and traps still set and deer tracks leading right to the set. Dont tell anybody our secret family coon recipe though, Im never supposed to repeat it (like bushes baked beans)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

Take the Anise away and switch to vanilla, voila! Deer Bait! done deal.
I used anis by itself for my coon traps
Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Something about that Vanilla! The persimmon grinded up is like peanut butter. The Vanilla will travel a football field in the woods!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting... Put a trail camera out over this mix and I would love to see how it works... I'm intigued..
Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do they allow baiting in VA?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Hoyt Viper I hate to hijack your thread but we've been looking for you. Your on Team 17 in the Deer Bowhunting Contest. We need you to check in. I tried reaching you through a PM and hope this works. See you there.

OK, carry on with the Persimmon thread.

Dan
Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Hey Hoyt Viper I hate to hijack your thread but we've been looking for you. Your on Team 17 in the Deer Bowhunting Contest. We need you to check in. I tried reaching you through a PM and hope this works. See you there.

OK, carry on with the Persimmon thread.

Dan
I did check in, thats me holding up the 7 pointer I hit with the Chevy last month....yummy straps and loins....still have 60 pounds of sausage and burgers and havent even drawn my bow on a deer! Is there something else I need to do?

Last edited by Hoyt_Viper; 09-14-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
Do they allow baiting in VA?
I dont consider it baiting, anymore than the 2 acres of clover, beets, turnips and corn growing on my lease. I dont plan on hunting over the persimmon bombs, just dumping them along the way back into my stands. I will put some on the main trails. More of a desert than anything. I doubt I would risk the baiting game over some ground up persimmon. Maybe my acorn boot spray is about as close as I will come to baiting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.