Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How many use Mechanical's How many use fixed >

How many use Mechanical's How many use fixed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: What "type" of broadhead do you use most for deer?
Solid one-piece fixed blade- needs resharpening
10.74%
Replaceable razor style fixed blade
53.69%
Rear opening mechanical
25.50%
Forward opening mechanical
10.07%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

How many use Mechanical's How many use fixed

Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

I use the RAGE
Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have used many replacement style fixed blades ... a few years back i tried the mechanical s. had a broad side shot on a doe at 10 yards and arrow deflected on a rib causing the arrow to pass through just under the spine. Just found some hair. No blood .I looked for 2 hours that night and called off work the next day to search in the pouring rain.Never found anything but hair and 4 days later i found her with the arrow still in her spoiled and half eaten by the yotes.Because I couldnt get a new bow to shoot my fixed blades I took the easy way out killed an animal with no recoveryand missed 8 hours pay ... made me sick.The mechanicals i was shooting were acurate. It was the angle of the shot... had that shot been made with a full cut on point or trocar point there is no doubt in my mind that deer whould have been in the freezer.Smashed all the mechancals i had , tossed them in the trash and put the bow in the closet for the season.I have since fixed the problem and back to shooting muzzy 4 blade, and have had many clean kills since.Dont jump on me im not slamming anybody for what they use its just my expierience... couldnt stand the thought of a buck of a life time rotting away in a thicket someplace.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Host of Hosts

Been shooting NAP Spitfires for a few years without any issues. Considering trying Rage 3 blade's got a pack for free. Also interested in trying Slick Tricks
Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Spike

does any one shoot the throphy ridge machanicals there the same price as the rage and claim to be better
Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nysmoker
a few years back i tried the mechanical s. had a broad side shot on a doe at 10 yards and arrow deflected on a rib causing the arrow to pass through just under the spine. Just found some hair. No blood .

Smashed all the mechancals i had , tossed them in the trash and put the bow in the closet for the season.I have since fixed the problem and back to shooting muzzy 4 blade, and have had many clean kills since.Dont jump on me im not slamming anybody for what they use its just my expierience... couldnt stand the thought of a buck of a life time rotting away in a thicket someplace.
I had a very simillar experience with the rage 3 blade last year. I shot at a doe quartering away from me and the arrow deflected off her ribs, slicing her shoulder as it skimmed off her. I had no blood trail and only 2 fletchings had blood from sliding against the cut. I went home and threw 3 packs of rage 3 blades in the trash. I would have given them to someone but felt I wounded one deer with them and I won't contribute to someone else doing the same. I hunted that doe specifically for the rest of the season and finally went into the thickets where I knew the does were bedding, she was the last to jump up and was the slowest running, easy to pick her out. I finished her with an 8mm mauser but it makes me angry knowing I had wounded her because of bad equipment and not because I made a bad shot. I had another incident prior to this when shooting through a blind and the rage punched a hole through the mesh rather than slicing. I took this shot at a target not a deer because I didn't have confidence in them in that scenario so I had bought the G5's strikers then but only used them in the blind, now I use nothing but the strikers since wounding that doe. But other guys have great success with mechanicals, they are just not for me.

I also want to state I am not desiring a debate over which is best, but personal experiences relating to a type of broadhead are welcomed.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 09-17-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mechanical: G5 Tekans
Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

I was hoping for more participation
Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

I use 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips, which technically are mechanical broadheads; however, they can also be fired while fully open as fixed blade.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

with a recurve i used afixed and now i use swacker with my bear bow
Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I went home and threw 3 packs of rage 3 blades in the trash. I would have given them to someone but felt I wounded one deer with them and I won't contribute to someone else doing the same.

Exactly why i smashed them and tossed them ... sucks tossing out 75 bucks worth of chit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.