Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First bowhunt ever, what would you have done? >

First bowhunt ever, what would you have done?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bowhunt ever, what would you have done?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default First bowhunt ever, what would you have done?

So this morning I officially became a "bowhunter". I was walking to my stand and all of a sudden I hear a deer huffing what seemed like 20 yards away or so. I couldn't see it but it obviously saw me. It huffed three times and so I slowly backed out because it didn't run like it was too spooked...I sat on the edge of the woods while I heard it just lazily walking around waiting for it to leave so I could get to my stand. Eventually it was getting light enough I figured I needed to make it into my stand even though it'll mean spooking this deer. So I walked in and heard it take off huffing the whole way it ran. In the event this happens again what would be the best course of action? Just go the first time, back out and wait for it to leave no matter how light it gets or wait a little but go before it gets too bright like I did?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

That is a tuff one, but I like to head to my stand at least an hour before shooting light. That being said, I would have just kept my head down and walked on in to my stand. When I go in I go as quickly, but as quietly as I can. For example, the morning I killed my biggest buck ever I bumped a deer about 100 yds. from my stand, I got a glimpse of it in the light of my flashlight. I am certain it was the same buck I killed about an hour later at 50 yds. from my stand. Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would probably just keep walking. Once they blow at you, they know something is not right and they will not settle until they are sure the danger is gone. Might as well keep going and get in your stand to wait for another one.

If it happens again, you might consider going to your stand earlier or by a different route. If your entry/exit is spooking deer, you might need a different route/time.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like to get them to stop blowing. She obviously knows what you are and is already spooked good all she is gonna do is spook more deer if you let her continue to blow and she will continue until she works her way far enough away from you. I would walk right at her and try to spook her good. Usually if they see you good and know what you are then they just take off and dont blow anymore. I figure one or two blows is always better than 10 blows. I do the same with hen turkeys that come intot he decoys when no toms are in sight. If one starts putting and I know she busted me I get up and spook her good. Nothing worse than warning noises. Animals can hear and pinpoint things alot farther and easier than they can see things like a deer or turkey fleeing the scene. Just what I tend to do. WCL
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I would keep going to your stand as quiet as possible when things settle back down he might circle around again . Deer are curious when they blow like that they were spooked by your scent or movement but did not identify what you were
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would keep walking even if it meant spooking it more. I would want to be in stand before first light no matter what.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've never seen a deer at first light, but I've spooked a ton walking in an hour or so before. I learned something that works for me, may not work for anyone else though. The second or third time I walked into some and got blown at, I blew right back. They didn't know what to think, but they didn't run either. I got into the stand, sat down and watched the "shadows" move around for about thirty more minutes and then they left. A couple trips after that another blew at me walking out, I waited until dark and it was apparently coming up the trail as I was walking home. It blew and out of instinct I screeched as loud as possible, like an eery sounding owl. It jumped off to one side, but I could hear it moving on slowly past me about 10yds out. I've discovered that in my hunting area if I don't do anything "human" such as sneeze or cough, they aren't really affected by it. Best thing I do is just to sound like another animal....if I can't shoot 'em, I'll baffle 'em to death.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just hit your grunt tube a couple of times and keep on heading in. Seems to fool them a bit for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

i usually just sit and wait a few then move a lil bit and stop, if its light out i blow the grunt call or snort wheeze at em
Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bumped deer and had them blowing at me from 30 yds. away while I climbed my tree in the pitch black only to have them walking underneath me 15 mins later (shadows moving about). Usually if they blow they aren't sure what ya are, they just know something is wrong. I have always just continued on to my stand.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.