HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Police our own !!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/303473-police-our-own.html)

SouthernMDArcherer 09-12-2009 02:56 PM

Police our own !!!

I am writing this in the hopes that we as hunters understand that WE need to police our own. I recently returned from a six month deployment to find my hunting property is sold. Long story short I have asked every farmer in the local area and beyond with no luck.

There reply each time is NO !!!! Now I could have simply said thank you when they said no but I decided to stay and talk with them on why they are so emphatic about it. Here are some of the results of what they told me:

1. Farmer: In the past I allowed it and people simply did not ask anymore, before I knew it I had the second coming of woodstock on my land.

2. Another Farmer: I let people hunt before and they started poaching out of season.

3. And yet another Farmer: Dave, I would allow you to hunt but I have had some bad experiences with it in the past. The last time it cost me over 10k to replace my equipment they shot up.

These are just a few of the ones that stuck in my head. What I have come to realize after 37 years of hunting is, WE NEED TO POLICE OUR OWN !!!! For every ethical, responsible hunter out there, I now believe there are one hundred others who make us look bad.

Rant over.

Dave

BUCKMARK 09-12-2009 03:01 PM

I know how you feel. We lease the property we hunt, well the people to the north of us I would say are sloppy hunters. During gun season they drop off a bunch of guys near the fence line and drive deer towards them, it can be scary to hunt down on that part of the property with lead flying all over the place. Wouldn't put it past them if they have shot deer out of season either...

TheMiz54 09-12-2009 03:03 PM

Its people like that that give us hunters a bad name

nodog 09-12-2009 03:55 PM

You are right!

BOWHUNTER818 09-12-2009 04:07 PM

Amen Brother, i hate the ones that give hunters bad names it the stupid things that get looked and and NEVER the good things that hunters and hunting Orginazations do..

Well Said!!

-NICK

bcward 09-12-2009 04:27 PM

I agree with what all of you have said. I know in Arkansas you can turn in poachers anonymously, I know nobody wants to be the one to do it, but it hurts everyone when people break the law. We should all be good stewards of the land we are privilaged to hunt on.

stabnslab_WI 09-12-2009 05:36 PM

I can understand where the farmer is coming from, We have a thirty acre hill/bluff near my hometown that is a basically my honey hole. I can only bowhunt this hill with a east wind otherwise I kick everything out. Any ways last time I hunted it I was surrounded with does and couple of nice bucks. That year the neighbor next to that land asked if he could hunt some does during the gun season. "I didn't even hesitate and said sure" I said it would be nice to get some does of that property.

Any ways to make a long story short, the guy endend up taking three bucks and four does that season. He brought his girlfriends three boys and his father along and had a field day. Honestly I told him "congrats but there will be no more hunting up there" The three boys ended up shooting one decent ten pointer, a big six and a fork horn. I was happy but tick off at the same time. Happy that the boys got there first bucks but ticked at the guy for not asking me first. Lesson learned

killzonearchery 09-12-2009 08:48 PM

if i ever saw people do stuff like that id slap them around

valor10 09-13-2009 06:03 AM

I can understand where the farmer is coming from, We have a thirty acre hill/bluff near my hometown that is a basically my honey hole. I can only bowhunt this hill with a east wind otherwise I kick everything out. Any ways last time I hunted it I was surrounded with does and couple of nice bucks. That year the neighbor next to that land asked if he could hunt some does during the gun season. "I didn't even hesitate and said sure" I said it would be nice to get some does of that property.

Any ways to make a long story short, the guy endend up taking three bucks and four does that season. He brought his girlfriends three boys and his father along and had a field day. Honestly I told him "congrats but there will be no more hunting up there" The three boys ended up shooting one decent ten pointer, a big six and a fork horn. I was happy but tick off at the same time. Happy that the boys got there first bucks but ticked at the guy for not asking me first. Lesson learned
This from a guy how had the following comments in a thread in the hunting forum about shooting a deer across a property line on somebody elses property.

Im not going to lie like everyone else on here. I would take the shot. Im not a poacher...........im just human. By nature we are hunters and Im providing food on the table. Who says the property line is correct without it being surveyed. In my mind that deer is on my property.

WOW.........The IQ level on this forum is pretty high. If you have a tag your not poaching.

Hey smart guy when did I ever say "don't put out your legal feeder" I just said I don't believe in them, that's all. In my eyes there is no sport in hunting an animal that comes to an 5x5 area because he knows there is food. The key words are 5X5 area.

And how am I poaching again. I have a tag, its in season and there is no property line. Thanks though for the information, it will be very useful...........oh yeah, get a hold of your emotions boy
Yeah, you really "feel' the farmers pain, don't you?

Hey Dave, welcome home my friend!