Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Makes you think

Old 09-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Makes you think

They say that if you see a mature doe with two button bucks fawns you should shoot that doe before she pushes the button bucks out. If you do this, those button bucks will be committed to that doe, which means they will stay on that property for life. Some guy on backland experience said that. I don't think that statement is true, what are your thought?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Seems unlikely. But what do I know.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Spike

Interesting, I have never heard anything like this. I guess it could be possible. It seems though that you really would have to know more about the territorial habits of whitetail bucks. I would be inclined to think that the ranking of the bucks in relation dominance would be more of a determining factor, especially approaching and during the rut.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would you rather shoot the doe and hope they stick around like they should and as I beleive they do, or would you rather not shoot her and have her chase them off within the next year when she has new fawns? The biological idea behind it is that she will chase them out of her home range to reduce the chances of imbreeding but then again the doe in the other home range, on the nieghbors lets say, will kick her buck fawns into your range so really either way mother nature has her own way of mixing bucks and does around so who knows. I personally will shoot the doe but I don't go looking for only does with buck fawns. I shoot a few mature does each year because we need em shot where I hunt. WCL
Old 09-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does almost always chase off BBs.

Natures way of preventing inbreeding.

Also known as dispersal.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

idk about it, they said it to one of my articles and idk about it
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't fool with Mother nature.

No, really I think its just a cycle. When some are pushed out other are pushed in to your area.