Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Top 5 things to be sucessful?? >

Top 5 things to be sucessful??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Top 5 things to be sucessful??

Old 09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brian K
I'd add having confidence in myself and my abilities to that list somewhere. Of course confidence comes with practice and knowing one's limits. But I want to feel comfortable knowing I can make any shot within 20 or so yards.

I was going to post the same reply but ya beat me to it. I would rate this as the number one thing on the list. Confidence in yourself, equipment, and the spot you chose.

Shane
Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

I agree with most postings already, but I'll list mine anyway.
  1. Scent control/elimination.
  2. Patience, and lots of it.
  3. Reliable equipment that you are confident using.
  4. Safe and comfortable stand to wait that big boy out in.
  5. Cell phone on silent mode so you can text your buddy to help drag that monster out!
Another helpful tip is: Don't forget your release!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. watch the wind/thermals

2. scent control

3.properly tuned and sighted in bow

4. scouting (builds confidence knowing what is in your hunting area)

5. persistence
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
1. watch the wind/thermals

2. scent control

3.properly tuned and sighted in bow

4. scouting (builds confidence knowing what is in your hunting area)

5. persistence

I like number 5!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by irishiup
@drockw. I completely agree. I look back at all of the bucks that came within range that I never got a shot at and wonder if I should've drew the bow. Last year, for example, I grunted a nice 8 literally to the base of my tree. Problem was, he had his head up looking for the "buck" that grunted the whole time. His peripheral vision busted me as I tried to slowly turn to the other side of the tree and get a quartering away shot at him.

Should I have taken a chance and drawn? Probably. But hindsight is 20/20. Should've just been more patient about when to turn to the other side of the tree.
Ive been in plenty of situations like that 4 years ago I was hunting a for sure (have him on video) 150-160" buck. I had many run-ins with him, and many times he was within range but I never could get the right opportunity to shoot him lol! One night he even bedded down on me 25yds away but he was facing dead at me. Lots of people I hunt with said "I would have shot him" but I didnt. Should I have tried.... Heck yeah is what I say now cuz I didnt kill him. but in the heat of the moment, I didnt have confidence in my abilities compared to his in the situations I had to shoot him.

Which leads me to my second point, which I did forget... CONFIDENCE!!! Great one, whoever brought that up!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent
scouting
practice
stand placment
practice
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other than the basics, scent control, hunting the wind, stand entry, even using the sun location to your advantage the absolute biggest way to get an advantage is to Hunt!!

You can Not kill'em unless you are in the woods with your Bow!

I'll put my money on a Nimrod that can hunt everyday over a seasoned hunter that only gets to hunt a few select weekends. If you know the basics it boils down to time spent in the woods, location, and a measure of Luck.

I'd rather be lucky as good any day!!

Dan
Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 patience
2 patience
3 patience
4 persistance
5 persistance
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Other than the basics, scent control, hunting the wind, stand entry, even using the sun location to your advantage the absolute biggest way to get an advantage is to Hunt!!

You can Not kill'em unless you are in the woods with your Bow!

I'll put my money on a Nimrod that can hunt everyday over a seasoned hunter that only gets to hunt a few select weekends. If you know the basics it boils down to time spent in the woods, location, and a measure of Luck.

I'd rather be lucky as good any day!!

Dan
I agree 100% wish I could be in the woods everyday. To go along with this I have another problem to many good spots and not enough time
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by twildasin
I agree 100% wish I could be in the woods everyday. To go along with this I have another problem to many good spots and not enough time

Lol, I wish I had that problem.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.