HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question about hunting on the ground (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/303247-question-about-hunting-ground.html)

joemr1288 09-10-2009 11:29 AM

Question about hunting on the ground

I have a question for you guys. Where I hunt I am only able to use one tree stand all season long. So my question is this, would it be viable to just find a spot where I know deer travel from bedding areas to a food source and find a tree and sit down by it? I have seen some of the guys on TV do this but they all had guns so I am a little unsure of whether or not this would be a good idea or not? Any information whether it be through experience or whatever would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Thanks,
-Joe

camokenny 09-10-2009 11:45 AM

Not a good idea unless you make yourself a blind out of natural material and always play the wind. Brush-in all the way around but make sure you leave enough room to draw your bow without hitting anything front or back. Draw your bow only when the deer goes behind a tree or bush. Or you could just use a pop-up blind if you have one. And you still want to brush and blend that in also.
My wife did shoot a 130" 8pt at 20yrds with a bow a few years back while kneeling down in front of a tree but he was on the trail of a doe and it was in the middle of the rut. He did stop and look at her but did not care, his mind was on something else. Nothing but air between them. And she is very small framed, 100lbs.

jgbrown 09-10-2009 11:49 AM

I have actually killed most of my deer hunting from the ground. Granted all of them were with a shotgun. But I have a good hunting buddy who shot two deer last season from the ground with his bow. All he did was make a makeshift blind from limbs near where he was hunting. So I would say at least try it.

BvrHunter 09-10-2009 11:52 AM

Joe you gotta do what ya gotta do to get in a good spot. Especially if the only tree you have to get in just isn't in a good location. Growing up hunting as kid and young teen and heck even now with my oldest son, I've made ground blinds out of fallen trees, holly bushes, branches, whatever to conceal myself on the grround. Its a challenge don't get me wrong, being 25 feet in a tree is where most bowhunters prefer but thats not to say you can't be just as successful on the ground. Do some some early season scouting ( LIKE NOW) find some good spots on the ground and go a head and set up some blinds.... nothing to it. I do this alot with my oldest son, he's only six and I have yet to buy a double person stand so when he's with me wether i have my Bow, blackpowder, or shotgun, we're always on the ground. But i've stuck plenty of deer right in front of him doing it so.... go out... have fun... be safe.... and Good Luck

MOTOWNHONKEY 09-10-2009 11:52 AM

My first nine years of bow hunting was from the ground. You really have to be on your A game to get drawn on a deer from the ground. I wouldn't recomened just sitting in front of a tree. I always get into a thick area with peek holes to ny right and left with lots of cover behind me. That way I can draw before they step into my shooting lanes undetected. ( idealy ) Brush you in a good natural ground blind with heavy back cover.

joemr1288 09-10-2009 12:02 PM

I have a nice pop up blind but the problem with that is where I hunt the property butts up next to a residential neighborhood and the kids even though there are signs posted come and and screw around and have even taken tree stands. We had to chain and lock them to the tree. So I am a little hesitant to take my $100+ ground blind out to the property only to go out one day and have it missing. Any suggestions?

Wheatley 09-10-2009 12:22 PM

I do it all the time. I have shot three bucks from the ground all within 25 yards. I sit right in front of a tree or brush to break up my outline and it works just fine. You have to be very careful about when you move/draw your bow though. I love hunting from the ground.

nodog 09-10-2009 01:32 PM

It's a learning curve. Do what you thinks best and adjust. Good hunting!

From the ground is the best as far as I'm concerned, just not that good at it.