HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   All Set! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/303177-all-set.html)

wis_bow_huntr 09-10-2009 03:22 AM

All Set!

Well I put up the last of the stands for the year. I bought one from Noah P. and I tell ya...what a damned beast that stand is. Its a 20 foot Lancer Extreme. Well things didnt quite go as planned when my neighbor and I were putting it up. Found a nice tree to put it up, got it assembled, that was the easy part even though it was still a chore, trimmed some branches and figured its only 80 lbs so we should be able to walk it up...we were doing real good until it got hug up in branch that we figured it would have cleared, we were wrong. Down came the stand with us two under it, the ladder hit he in the head, and cut my back, and bruised a couple ribs and pulled some muscles. Im thankful my neighbor was able to get out from under the main part of the stand. We stood there and made sure we were alright, took a break, had some water and gathered ourselves. Trying to figure out how the heck we were going to get this beast up. Well looking at the situation, I said screw it, Took a section of the ladder out, tied a rope to the platform support and threw that over a limb, I walked the stand up while my neigbor pulled from behind the tree. We should have just done that in the first place....it was standing in less than 1 minute. Great we got it up, got it positioned, walked to the truck to get the stabilizer......no stablizer.....forgot to put it in the truck :mad1:. Ok no biggie. Thought about calling the wife to have her bring it out but didnt want to inconvenience her with running 4 miles out of town just to bring a stabilizer bar. So we left the rope tide to the stand and tied the other end to a tree, used the straps that go around the back side of the tree and attach to the ladder got them snug and loaded everything else up. We were pretty much beat by then anyway. So we headed back home. Ill finish putting the stabilizer on today and climbing up and finish securing the stand to the tree. After all the work I have done this year, through all the blood sweat and tears, hanging stands, moving stands, fixing stands, clearing lanes, it better pay off in a big way. Ive never worked so hard for hunting in my life, but you know what, I wouldnt trade it for anything :)

npockat32 09-10-2009 05:35 AM

that's why I sold it to ya :) lol. It will pay off for you in the end! I have a feeling we are both going to shoot 2 biggins this year!!

tmontgo1 09-10-2009 06:02 AM

i wanted to hang a stand in one of the back hills on the farm. what a job that turned out to be, i didnt realize the creek was so deep back there. So i couldnt walk through or drive the atv through so i decided to build a bridge. I assembled it at the barn and then drug it behind the atv in four seperate tripped and resembeled at the creek. Talk about fun, I know how ya feel but usually the stands you put work into pay off in the end. good luck

appleater25 09-10-2009 06:04 AM

ahhh the joys of heavy metal in the woods!!!:party0007:

hatchet jack 09-10-2009 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by appleater25 (Post 3436125)
ahhh the joys of heavy metal in the woods!!!:party0007:

Now thats funny:lolabove:

Hatchet jack

sr77 09-10-2009 12:36 PM

Glad you are ok, doesn't sound like you got hurt to bad. Putting up stands is alot harder then one thinks sometimes.

Shane

wis_bow_huntr 09-10-2009 04:23 PM

Got it finished tonight, and it was still a chore, had to adjust the stand and turn it a little more east than I had wanted but its set up in pretty decently and offers some great ops for shooting about anything from a couple directions.

ManofTheFall 09-11-2009 11:57 AM

Hopefully this stand will pay off for you. Shoot one of those big boys for the team!!!!!