HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   shot a rock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/303169-shot-rock.html)

TFOX 09-09-2009 07:33 PM

shot a rock

Today I had the pleasure to setup a Diamond Rock and it is a very nice bow.Shot quite smooth with stabilizer and draw cycle was very nice,even for me being overbowed.

At first I had some convincing to do to the owner that he didn't have the right equipment.His rest was a plastic hostage and his arrows were beman 400's.He has a 30" draw shooting 66#'s.Did some rest swaps with a few I had laying around and showed him how just a rest swap helped his tear but we couldn't get past the spine issue and contact issues.He had a 2 1/2" high tear and 3/4" right tear.

He finally gave in,headed to town and traded 11, 400's for 6 340's.He watches his spending.He then went to a friend that had a cheap fallaway rest and traded the hostage for this rest.

He returned and I set up the rest,and did a quick eyeball tune for centershot.Set the nock to dead level.Put a couple twist in the yoke to take care of some lean.

Then checked paper,about an 1/8" right tear.Not enough to worry about.(we could have done a couple more twist or added some length to the rest rope to completely eliminate the tear)

He sighted in with field points,then checked broadheads.Dead on at 25.I moved him back to 30 and still dead on,then on to 40,still dead on.He had a look of amazement.

He said he has NEVER had broadheads do this.

He called me later and said he had a few buddies that wanted to come see me.:biggrin:

425 grain arrow @ 66#'s shooting 275 fps with broadheads and fieldpoints impacting the same.

Back to the bow.I really liked it for a lower end bow.Very nice strings and cables and easy to setup.Great buy for the budget conscious consumer.

killzonearchery 09-10-2009 11:05 AM

idk much about diamond bows but i have heard they are nice and have a nice youth bow out that alot of ppl are talking about up here in upper ky

drockw 09-10-2009 08:45 PM

You need to get a shop going and start tuning/coaching. Ill spread the word;)

There would be sooooo many more well geared/prepared hunters around here it would be unbelievable. I dont think there is a shop around here(seriously) that knows nearly as much as you about advanced tuning or arrows for that matter.

Lots of people would be shooting A LOT better imo...

I had trouble convincing a guy the other day that a 400 spine beaman at 27" was too weak for his 28.5"DL OMEN at 67#'s!!! He kept on telling me that that was what the chart said, and asked why I would disagree with the chart lol! The fastest/hardest cammed IBO bow made and hes shooting 400spine arrows out of it lol! A rage wouldnt even impact the same as his fp's. He finally gave in to it, and said he would be getting new arrows to overcome the severe weakness of his setup. He also didnt wanna drop any DW...

Anways...

TFOX 09-10-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3437126)
You need to get a shop going and start tuning/coaching. Ill spread the word;)

There would be sooooo many more well geared/prepared hunters around here it would be unbelievable. I dont think there is a shop around here(seriously) that knows nearly as much as you about advanced tuning or arrows for that matter.

Lots of people would be shooting A LOT better imo...

I had trouble convincing a guy the other day that a 400 spine beaman at 27" was too weak for his 28.5"DL OMEN at 67#'s!!! He kept on telling me that that was what the chart said, and asked why I would disagree with the chart lol! The fastest/hardest cammed IBO bow made and hes shooting 400spine arrows out of it lol! A rage wouldnt even impact the same as his fp's. He finally gave in to it, and said he would be getting new arrows to overcome the severe weakness of his setup. He also didnt wanna drop any DW...

Anways...

It took me 3-4 years with this guy to get him convinced enough to make some changes.He has always killed deer,and nice deer I might add.He is the guy that buys an ebay bow a week or 2 before season and calls me to get it setup(after his last ebay bow that had bent limb pockets and a cracked limb,he quit that).He changes bows about every year but won't buy a top end bow.It wasn't untill last year that I convinced him he need atleast a 30" draw.He usually just shot whatever draw length the bow had that he bought that year.:biggrin:

He about crapped when I told him AFTER he shot my bow that the bow I recommended to him was just like mine except a magnesium riser and a little shorter.(Turbohawk)

I usually don't advise 30" shooters to shoot bows this short but he always shoots really short bows and does pretty well with them.Plus I knew he wasn't going to go for a high end priced bow.

It is one thing to know what you are talking about,it is something else to convince someone they "need" to make changes,especially if they have been killing deer.

drockw 09-10-2009 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 3437138)
It took me 3-4 years with this guy to get him convinced enough to make some changes.He has always killed deer,and nice deer I might add.He is the guy that buys an ebay bow a week or 2 before season and calls me to get it setup(after his last ebay bow that had bent limb pockets and a cracked limb,he quit that).He changes bows about every year but won't buy a top end bow.It wasn't untill last year that I convinced him he need atleast a 30" draw.He usually just shot whatever draw length the bow had that he bought that year.:biggrin:

He about crapped when I told him AFTER he shot my bow that the bow I recommended to him was just like mine except a magnesium riser and a little shorter.(Turbohawk)

I usually don't advise 30" shooters to shoot bows this short but he always shoots really short bows and does pretty well with them.Plus I knew he wasn't going to go for a high end priced bow.

It is one thing to know what you are talking about,it is something else to convince someone they "need" to make changes,especially if they have been killing deer.

I hear that. My father still shoots an early-mid 90's high country supreme at almost 80#'s. Shoots a huge overdraw/tm hunter setup, with super short old epic 400's and doesnt bh tune:s6: Just shoots it right before season to make sure he can still hit a pie plate lol. Kills deer every year, and has since he bought the bow in the 90's. Its never had a different set of strings, nor has it ever been "tuned". Whats bad is he hasnt wounded a deer with a bow in a long time(couldnt recall how many years) b/c he limits himself to his actual capability. He WILL NOT shoot over 25yards at all. Ive had 15 bows or so all the while hes had the same setup:s5:

I believe thats the difference between a bowhunter, and an archer... To each his own I guess... I cant really say much to him b/c up until last year he had killed more deer per season with a bow than me lol but ive been able to outshoot him for a few years. And that imo, is the difference between my 9years of bowhunting experience, and his xx(not even sure, but its enough haha).