Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
interesting first weekend >

interesting first weekend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

interesting first weekend

Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default interesting first weekend

Well,after waiting for year for my son to funally get to go bowhunting with me,it finally came this weekend.It was quite the interesting weekend to say the least.

I have a double set in a little crabapple orchard that I decided would be the perfect spot for him to open with.I decided to walk us in the long way trying to avoid the bedding areas and slip in from the backside.Well,with the winter ice storms we had this year and all the tree tops broken,the "forest" floor is completely overgrown with weeds head high.This made the hike that much more "interesting".

There was some rain in the area but I wasn't concerned with a little rain but little did I know that as soon as I got in the stand and got our bowhangers hung and safety ropes attached to the tree and we both get settled in that the skies would open up and the lightning would start.There was no way I was going to keep my son in a tree with a bow in a lightning storm so we packed up,literally 5 minutes into the hunt and made a mad dash back to the truck(the short way this time).Which,we promptly got hung up on the way out. Had to call a friend to pull us out.I told my son later,well you have experience the good and the bad of hunting today,he calmly asked,What was the good.

After some miscommunication with him supposedly going dove hunting Sunday,he didn't get to hunt with me.

Well,this afternoon I took him to a well traveled deer and turkey spot at H&H wildlife preserve,a spot Germ knows well,he saw a big buck here last year while his release was in his pack.
I set up the blind and the wait was on.We got in early to be sure we would beat the public crowd and maybe discourage anyone else from moving in on us and I assume it worked,we were setup by 3.00 pm and saw no one.At about 6:45 I saw some turkeys moving down the firebreak just like Germ and I had discussed hunting them in this area and the plan worked to perfection,except for 1 thing.My son apparently rushed the shot and missed at 5 yards.I really thought he hit her but after inspecting the arrow,it was a clean miss.I had planned on filming it but it happened too fast for me to even turn the camera on.I tried to call the birds back in and they talked to me and I saw other birds roosting but none came back in.

So to say the least,it was an interesting weekend. BUT it was fun.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-07-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now for some pics.

Notice the smile for the first bow hunt ever.Also notice how dry it is.

A little pic together.

Son hooking up the bows after I got the safety straps in the trees and the bowhangers hung.

The only pic before the skies opened up.

Waiting on the turkeys to show from the blind.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice!!! At least he got to shoot at something! That always makes it better when your first starting off.

Btw, my dad was on the river when the skies opened up!!!! He wasnt exactly tickled...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by drockw
Nice!!! At least he got to shoot at something! That always makes it better when your first starting off.

Btw, my dad was on the river when the skies opened up!!!! He wasnt exactly tickled...

Henderson got it worse than where we were in Webster but it was bad enough.I bet he had a little pucker factor going on.

He had absolutely no confidence in this setup when we first got in there(blind setup).I had pushed down some weeds just about 5 yards off the fire break and you couldn't see one direction at all and only about 20 yards from the opposite.Had a nice shooting lane in front but that was it.I really doubted a deer would walk by that close but was fairly confident a turkey would.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

u aint kiddin that was the bad of hunting. but if we did not have bad then life would be perfect