HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you ever pee... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/302842-do-you-ever-pee.html)

oujeff25 09-07-2009 05:37 AM

Do you ever pee...

while hunting with bow? How about ml or rifle??

rupypug 09-07-2009 05:45 AM

If I have to go I will pee anywere. Even with a bow, it has never bothered my hunting.

BvrHunter 09-07-2009 05:47 AM

I try to go before and after to reduce the chance while in the stand, but if I have to I will. Don't think its that big of a deal breaker, have seen deer walk right passed a spot right after and didn't think twice. Plus I have a six year old son thats been hunting with me since he was four(on and off) and it never fails that he's gonna have to go at some point lol

rh160kid 09-07-2009 05:50 AM

i try not to but if you gotta go you gotta go.

MOhunter46 09-07-2009 06:06 AM

Yes i pee while on stand, dosent bother deer one bit.

jnrbronc 09-07-2009 06:55 AM

Whenever nature calls! Out of the bow stand and even in scrapes I'm running trail cams over. Obviously I don't think its a problem.

mfd1027 09-07-2009 07:42 AM

I'm obviously in the minority here and I've gone back and forth on this one. Do I think my urine spooks deer? Nope. I think it raises their curiosity and that's what I'm trying to avoid esp. when the source of the curiosity is directly beneath my stand.
"If", (I don't) I was using a scent station such as doe in heat or rutting buck type of scent I wouldn't place it directly underneath me. I am willing to bet that any mature buck or doe for that matter that catch's a wiff of your puddle of pee will pay attention to it and once a mature deer pays attention to a scent they "will" pinpoint the source of that scent. I've been at this for over 40 yrs. and on average for the last 10 yrs. i've spent over 60 days a season sitting in trees and I can guarantee you that you will pay dearly sooner or later from peeing out of your stand. If your willing to accept the consequence's let it rip.

Dan

bypasskiller 09-07-2009 07:51 AM

i can usually hold mine unless its an all day sit. but 5 hrs isnt a problem.

Antler Eater 09-07-2009 08:43 AM

I have both peed and spit on deer directly under my stand and none of them reacted negatively to it or knew I was there...

3tail 09-07-2009 09:11 AM

I do it and have had deer come in not long after that to me it doesnt seem to spook them :)

vadeerkiller 09-07-2009 09:21 AM

I'll go the other route on this one, A buck can tell the difference between doe pee and another buck's pee but not ours. Come on. I take an empty gatoraid bottle with me and pee into that.

wingchaser_labs 09-07-2009 09:24 AM

When I know I'm going to be sitting for a half day or more I always carry an empty gatorade bottle with me and pee in it if need be. Then when I get home or back to the truck I dump it out and rinse it out. Maybe pee spooks deer maybe it doesn't but I'd rather play it safe. Even if most deer don't care ya never know when that one deer who doesn't like it may show up and be spooked because you peed and that one deer may be your big oppertunity. WCL

leadoperator 09-07-2009 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs (Post 3432658)
When I know I'm going to be sitting for a half day or more I always carry an empty gatorade bottle with me and pee in it if need be. Then when I get home or back to the truck I dump it out and rinse it out. Maybe pee spooks deer maybe it doesn't but I'd rather play it safe. Even if most deer don't care ya never know when that one deer who doesn't like it may show up and be spooked because you peed and that one deer may be your big oppertunity. WCL

Yep! better to be safe then sorry!

bigbulls 09-07-2009 10:45 AM

I will NEVER pee from a stand again. Bow or rifle hunting.

I use to pee from a stand when ever I had to go. That was until last year. I have a very nice 8 point buck come in to the Primos can dead set on finding this doe that he had heard. He came in on the down wind side at an angle. He wasn't but 20 yards from my tree and I was 32 feet up in the tree so he couldn't have smelled me. Just as soon as he got down wind of my urine he turned in side out and headed the other direction jsut as fast as he could run.

I will never pee from a treestand again.

minnesotadeer 09-07-2009 11:32 AM

It all depends on the deer and how freaked out they'd get by your pee, so it could or it couldn't hurt you depending on their tolerance/curiousity. When in stand, I'd be more worried about the sound of it hitting the ground 20 feet from above so I'd make sure to clear the leaves out in a spot to avoid that. When in blind, I bring a juice bottle or I should say I leave one in all of my blinds that are already set-up. Who wants to pee where they're sitting all day? Plus it helps contain the smell and you don't have to leave the blind and risk letting er fly when they P&Y is watching you.

burniegoeasily 09-07-2009 12:12 PM

Right off the edge of my blind. I have actually had a deer walk up to a spot I peed and sniff it and go about his buisness with no problem.

Heck, the oldtimers will pee in scraps to get the deer to come back. Seen it done and seen it work.

MeanV2 09-07-2009 05:10 PM

I usually pee a couple of times a day whether it's deer season or not!:)

I really doubt urine affects deer much one way or the other. I have seen too much evidence to the contrary.

Dan

YooperMike 09-07-2009 05:47 PM

If I sit all day, I may have to pee one time, and i'll go when the moment arrives. On just morning or afternoon sits, i usually don't have to go, must have a huge bladder I guess. Haven't had it negatively affect my hunting, but I try to stay hydrated so my pee doesn't stink like ammonia either.

Now, to get a little more biological: Some people have genes that will make certain foods/drinks have their same odor in the urine. I'm one of them. Asparagus is the most common vegetable that transfers odor, and when I pee after asparagus, as soon as two hours later, it smells intensely strong of asparagus. With coffee, my wizz smells like a freshly brewed pot, so I stay away from coffee and asparagus during the season.

jnrbronc 09-07-2009 06:35 PM

For all you nervous Nellie's who pee in a bottle; Do coyotes pee in a bottle? Do wolves? Any other predators pee in a bottle? If deer came unglued every time they encountered "predator pee", they would wear themselves to a frazzle! They couldn't go any where in the woods without being freaked out.

I've watered a tree that leaned under the stand I was in an had bucks come in and smell that tree. Granted, they were young bucks, but if you think about it, any scent from urine will also follow your scent stream. Which is going to freak the deer out more?

Set up for the wind, anticipate when deer will hit your scent stream (body or urine) and hunt! JMO.

bigbulls 09-07-2009 06:41 PM

Now, to get a little more biological: Some people have genes that will make certain foods/drinks have their same odor in the urine. I'm one of them. Asparagus is the most common vegetable that transfers odor, and when I pee after asparagus, as soon as two hours later, it smells intensely strong of asparagus. With coffee, my wizz smells like a freshly brewed pot, so I stay away from coffee and asparagus during the season.
That very well may be why that deer turned inside out when he got down wind of my pee.

I don't eat asparagus :s8: but my urine does smell exactly like coffee when I drink it and I drink it nearly every morning, including that one.

Maybe I should make some acorn rage corn bread during deer season. :confused0024:

charlesdaly 09-08-2009 05:53 AM

This past Spring while turkey hunting, me and my two hunting buddies where taking a snack break and sitting against some trees. I walk a couple yards off path to use the bathroom and hear one of my buddies start coughing to get my attention. As I am standing there relieving myself I look over my shoulder and see three does walking straight towards my at 15 yards. This is why I now believe that hunting is pure chance of being in the right place at the right time.

YooperMike 09-08-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3433210)
That very well may be why that deer turned inside out when he got down wind of my pee.

I don't eat asparagus :s8: but my urine does smell exactly like coffee when I drink it and I drink it nearly every morning, including that one.

Maybe I should make some acorn rage corn bread during deer season. :confused0024:

Ha! Maybe thats an idea for a new scent control product, acorn infused water for pee attraction! Why the bad attitude toward asparagus?

wingchaser_labs 09-08-2009 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jnrbronc (Post 3433199)
For all you nervous Nellie's who pee in a bottle; Do coyotes pee in a bottle? Do wolves? Any other predators pee in a bottle? If deer came unglued every time they encountered "predator pee", they would wear themselves to a frazzle! They couldn't go any where in the woods without being freaked out.

I get your arguement but the truth is people aren't in the woods every day with them. They know when people are in certain areas it means no good exspecially the older smart deer. I've seen deer in fields with coyotes at night so let me ask you have you ever seen a deer in a field with a person at night? No because people present a much bigger threat than coyotes. I'm sure a deer is on high alert when it comes across fresh coyote pee in the spring when she has a fawn near by. Same for people the deer know the times of years when they need to watch out for people in the woods. They could care less about people in the summer and spring months as you can walk across a field turkey huntin and they just watch you but when it comes to huntin season they won't look at you in that field for more than a couple seconds most of the time........ Also why put your scent at risk when you can just use doe urine instead to attract deer? Deer are always on alert when they know a predator has been recently in the area, heck deer are on alert almost their whole lives, they are a prey species and they know it. It just depends on the time and situation of it and how deer will react to it. They experience it every day, they know what the norm is, when a predator is at high risk or low risk, and big bucks don't get big by going and checking out every humans scent/pee. Is human scent worse, yes, but a fresh pee can't be far behind. WCL

HuntingBry 09-08-2009 08:05 AM

I've peed out of my stand for years and had plenty of during around after doing so. The only down side is the dribble on my boots.

richwrench 09-08-2009 02:14 PM

I read somewhere that testosterone is testosterone - deer can't tell the difference if it's human or animal, and a buck will feel challenged by it. I can't prove it - maybe this year I will have a chance to try it out. Just bought my first treestand - I've been a ground hunter until this year, and I'm NOT climbing all the way down just to wizz...

PSEposter19 09-09-2009 07:04 AM

I do! I actually shot a doe after she walked right under my stand after I just went pee, she didn't even stop at it just kept going about another 10yds and I dropped her. So PEE away!

seller 09-09-2009 07:56 PM

i did it and 10 mins later i had a buck walk by and it did not bother him

wihunter32 09-09-2009 09:34 PM

I have never had a problem with it.

RIStrutStopper 09-10-2009 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by jnrbronc (Post 3432564)
Whenever nature calls! Out of the bow stand and even in scrapes I'm running trail cams over. Obviously I don't think its a problem.

Remind me not to check out your trail cam pics :biggrin:

valor10 09-10-2009 05:02 AM

I've peed out of my stand for years and had plenty of during around after doing so. The only down side is the dribble on my boots.
Ain't that the truth!

jnrbronc 09-10-2009 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs (Post 3433593)
I get your arguement but the truth is people aren't in the woods every day with them.

Yeah, that could be true for some areas but the properties I hunt have lots of human traffic, I mean on a weekly if not daily basis. If I was hunting some remote region, I would probably be more cautious.

blindluck 09-10-2009 07:03 AM

urine breaks down into the same pheremone as all other animals after about an hour so it makes no difference...thats why it attracts bucks when you pee in a scrape...sorry if im bein vulgar but i have actually peed of the side of my stand ha...i had deer in the field and didnt have a bottle...none of them spooked! * i use scents every time i hunt but i never hang it right off the ground i always hang it somewhere on the stand or tree im hunting in that way it acts as a cover scent and an attractant. doe in estrous is much stronger than the scent of the human body..at least i think so!

Steve863 09-10-2009 08:37 AM

I have no desire to carry a Gatorade bottle into the woods just to pee in. I am assuming those who do will have to put it back into their backpacks and empty it out back at camp or by their vehicles? I sure hope none of them ever has a spill in their backpacks! LOL

blindluck 09-10-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Steve863 (Post 3436321)
I have no desire to carry a Gatorade bottle into the woods just to pee in. I am assuming those who do will have to put it back into their backpacks and empty it out back at camp or by their vehicles? I sure hope none of them ever has a spill in their backpacks! LOL

1! HAHA...i think i'd rather fill my waders up than have a peed in backpack

1shotkill1993 09-10-2009 09:55 AM

Yes, I pee whenever I have to go. Idk if it affects my hunting or not. I do it anyways.

4evrhtn 09-10-2009 09:56 AM

I relieved myself beside a feeder that last day of the season last year. The next day when we went around to check the feeders that feeder was the only one completely empty, so apparently it didn't bother them. I still don't take the chance despite this and I carry an empty bottle in my pack rather than peeing out over my stand. I know the one time I do I will have a monster show up, wind my urine and spook out of the area. I try not to let any scent behind. We do not eat what wild animals eat so therefore our waste will be different in smell and that is foreign to what the deer experience on a daily basis.

hatchet jack 09-10-2009 11:31 AM

I pee out of my stand all the time and it has no effect at all on the deer. I even dumped a #2 out of my stand. That on the other hand did effect the deer that day!

Hatchet Jack

mauser06 09-10-2009 11:52 AM

i pee nearly every time im in my stand...right out of my stand...

i do scratch the leaves away from the base of the tree so it doesnt make as much noise....but if im sitting more than a few hours, im peein!! i drink ALOT through the day....i aint holding it in or going in a bottle or anything...just not needed IMO...movement is what will bust you...gotta time your pees right! lol...

ive had many deer sniff the area i peed into and none alerted...the one time a deer DID alert was when it sniffed my pull up rope i left hanging that evening for some odd reason...it sniffed it and jumped...i thought that was odd...but then realized i touch it daily without gloves and its 1 item i never sprayed down....lesson learned...