HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Chewing Dip got me thinking about Smoking in the stand what are your thoughts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/302833-chewing-dip-got-me-thinking-about-smoking-stand-what-your-thoughts.html)

MI TAMBO 09-07-2009 04:48 AM

Chewing Dip got me thinking about Smoking in the stand what are your thoughts

Do any of you guys smoke while in the tree stand. I know it requires a lot of movement, and obviously the smell. But I have had a cig lite and deer have still come in. I just had to quickly put it out and get ready. I am sure it has effect some of my hunts, but if you play the wind and all my butts are put in a bottle filled with water. On a 4 or 5 hour hunt I probably light up about 4 to 5 cigs. Neither is good, but which is worse smoking or chewing.

wis_bow_huntr 09-07-2009 05:01 AM

I try not to smoke in my stands during early season, but occasionally I will. During the rut It doesnt really seem to matter too much. Deer have one thing on their minds. Ive shot more deer within 2-3 minutes after extinguishing a smoke than I have sitting in one spot all day long...

mission x3 09-07-2009 11:08 AM

I shot 2 deer last year right after i put out my smoke.

burniegoeasily 09-07-2009 12:20 PM

I do not smoke or dip, but have bunch of buddies that do. I would not do either, nor do my buddies (or at least in my stands). But out of the two, dip spit is the worse. I had a guy ruin my best stand spitting dip from the stand. Not one deer returned to that area the rest of the year.

ByGod 09-07-2009 12:31 PM

I dip in the stand no matter what phase of the season it is... and have never had any negative effects. Since thinking about it, i spit in a bottle and seal it up really quick. but i have spit on a deer's back and it didn't even phase him. (of course he was a little forkhorn w/ doe na-na on his mind!)
my dad's friend smokes in the stand. he's spooked a few b/c of it.
but hey- it's your choice! you see if ur deer are effected by it. people can't say one way either yes or no b/c they don't know your deer! and if it keeps ya awake or "sane" to use tobbacco so be it!

leadoperator 09-07-2009 02:07 PM

I dont or ever will and neither does my hunting partner. These questions are getting absolutely rediculious.

killzonearchery 09-07-2009 02:19 PM

my bestfriend has been dipping in his stand 4 6 years and still kills lots of deer. but he does spit in a bottle

early in 09-07-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by leadoperator (Post 3432844)
I dont or ever will and neither does my hunting partner. These questions are getting absolutely rediculious.

First off, it's "ridiculous" not rediculious. Also, what may seem that way to you might not seem that way to other folks.

As far as smoking on stand goes, I do it and still see/kill deer. I think it's more the movements associated with it rather than the odor that gets you busted. Smoke on!:cool2:

leadoperator 09-07-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by early in (Post 3432856)
First off, it's "ridiculous" not rediculious. Also, what may seem that way to you might not seem that way to other folks.

As far as smoking on stand goes, I do it and still see/kill deer. I think it's more the movements associated with it rather than the odor that gets you busted. Smoke on!:cool2:

Im sorry, perhaps stupid would be a better word. To each their own.

Valentine 09-07-2009 02:38 PM

Back in my younger day

when a lot of hunters and people smoked, smoked in their vehicle, smoked first thing in the morning, smoked up the hunt camp, I believe deer were use to smoky fires.