HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Guided hunts please respond (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/302737-guided-hunts-please-respond.html)

switchback hunter 09-06-2009 09:49 AM

Guided hunts please respond

How many of you hunters would be willing to pay $500 dollars for a 5 day whitetail hunt on public land in central wis mainly around Black River falls, I would do all the scouting and I would put you on deer but there is no guarentee that you will shoot a large buck. I will put you in the area that a buck is using and give you the best odds of harvesting him but since this is 1,000's of acres of public there would be no guarentee. I have done extensive scouting through the area and there is almost zero pressure from other hunters.Also why or why not

switchback hunter 09-06-2009 04:44 PM

Please give me some input

BOWHUNTER818 09-06-2009 05:19 PM

NO...its still public land and you have not control over what everyone else is going to do or where everyone is going to be if im paying for a guided hunt its public land on his or her's PRIVATE land. That way they know what is going on, on there land..

I hate running into people when hunting, unless its someone i know.

-NICK

TheMiz54 09-06-2009 05:27 PM

I dont think it would work man. Anyone can go and hunt public land and and you cant guarantee that the hunter would get on a good deer. You would do all the scouting but would you provide a place for them to stay if so you might have some city folks that might want to do it if you provide shelter and food and a chance for a good buck.

live2Draw 09-06-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by switchback hunter (Post 3431828)
How many of you hunters would be willing to pay $500 dollars for a 5 day whitetail hunt on public land in central wis mainly around Black River falls, I would do all the scouting and I would put you on deer but there is no guarentee that you will shoot a large buck. I will put you in the area that a buck is using and give you the best odds of harvesting him but since this is 1,000's of acres of public there would be no guarentee. I have done extensive scouting through the area and there is almost zero pressure from other hunters.Also why or why not

I responded yes. I Am a guide for steelhead in the central basin, and i love going out with people. The level of success you can experience in an area unknown to you just by using a guide service is really remarkable. These guys are not Really Bad fisherman (all the time) But people who are not familiar with teh techniques and waters we use to be successful! I would think that would transfer directly over to whitetail. You might be an accomplished hunter, but things are a little different everywhere!! GOod Luck Man! Its a really really hard, Sometimes Very frustrating business, But can be rewarding!

wis_bow_huntr 09-07-2009 05:21 AM

Absolutely not. there is no guarentee on public land. especially the areas hes talking about. Ive hunted just about all of central wi public land over the last 20 years and he cant tell me theres no preasure.

BvrHunter 09-07-2009 06:14 AM

I'd have to say its a toss up! There are really good points on both sides of the coin. Is it risky?? Kinda sounds like it, because as stated above, you have no control over public land and who's gonna be on it. That drops you success rate way down!! But thats not to say that you won't have people interested. The one thing you have on your side, is the price.. right now with the economy I can't imagine people are forking out $4500 at a whim to do guided hunts like they were a few years ago! So you may catch the average hunter like myself who would like to get into another state but just doesn't have the money to afford an upscale guided hunt. Your always taking a chance when you go out no matter how much you pay for it. Thats why we call it Hunting and not Killing :)

switchback hunter 09-07-2009 07:58 AM

Wis bow hunter I don't care how long you have hunted the area there are huge areas of public land that no one hunts because the atv trails are closed in october this keeps all but a couple dye hards out I know this tract of land better then anyone and I have photos to back up the amount of quality deer that are in this area. The reason I am working on doing this is because the last couple seasons guys are really losing interest because they are not seeing deer, and I have areas that are piled up with deer so i could put you on deer and at the least you would be seeing deer probably shooting a few does and have the oppurtunity at a true public land giant. SO YOU CAN KEEP HUNTING YOUR AREA BUT KEEP YOU FALSE COMMENTS TO YOUSELF. Also food and lodging would be included at my cabin.

tedrow 09-07-2009 08:13 AM

id say yes. how many of you can go out of state and hunt for $500 and have a place to stay and food! thats a cheap vacation doing something most of us love doing. shooting a monster would be a bonus.

11pt 09-07-2009 09:07 AM

Be carefuland make sure you know your state laws. I don't know about Wisconsin, but in Illinois it's illegal to take money for "guided" hunts on public land for deer. That's not to say you can't provide lodging and some helpful hints on topo maps though....